Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp beginner — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp beginner

James2010NGJames2010NG Posts: 10
edited 2010-07-03 07:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hey, I just had a quick question on how I should go about learning how to write programs in PBASIC. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-06-30 18:51
    Start with 'What is Micorocontroller' and here you can download·more read stuff:
    http://www.parallax.com/Education/TutorialsTranslations/tabid/535/Default.aspx

Post Edited (electrosys) : 6/30/2010 11:37:56 PM GMT
  • mphmph Posts: 13
    edited 2010-07-01 04:52
    This is of course a matter of preference, but I enjoyed getting started by reading the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual and working through all examples with my BS2px mounted on the Basic Stamp 1 Starter Kit. Learning by doing gets you going the fastest. Have fun!
  • kahuwikahuwi Posts: 1
    edited 2010-07-02 17:36
    The way to go about any programming experience is to first solve the problem by human coding the algorithim that does what you want to accomplish. Then you can look at the syntax/reference manual for which ever micro you are going to implement the solution. This way you can learn the language syntax without also trying to solve the problem at the same time. Another benefit of this approach is that will allow you to take your problem solution accross different platforms quicker.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    kahuwi
  • J^3J^3 Posts: 121
    edited 2010-07-03 04:51
    James2010NG,

I agree with electrosys, the "What's a Microcontroller" book is the easiest way to get started with the Basic Stamp. If you haven't already ordered a kit I recommend ordering one of the discovery kits. Having the printed reference manual is a big plus in my book. After your done with "What's a Microcontroller", take a look at the rest of the Stamps in Class series. Besides learning how to use the BS2, you can beef up on some basic circuits if needed.

J^3

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are 10 types of people that understand binary, those who do, and those who don't.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-07-03 07:37
    First read "What's a Microcontroller", then read or at least acquaint your self with "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual".
    These books together will give you a comprehensive understanding.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ain't gadetry a wonderful thing?

aka G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse] 黃鶴 ] in Taiwan