Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR sensor malfunction — Parallax Forums

IR sensor malfunction

JonathanZJonathanZ Posts: 2
edited 2010-06-29 20:27 in BASIC Stamp
This is just your Basic Stamp, BoeBot bs2 code. Having trouble with the IR sensor. When I go to the debug terminal it doesn't pick up my hand or any other object in front of it. IR just simply doesn't work. Tried redoing the whole circuitry to see if that was the problem(did it with the same jumper cables etc) but still doesn't work. I haven't used it for a year or so and wanted to use it again but doesn't work since I've been trying to get it working again.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-06-29 20:08
    1. post your full program

2. post your schematic

3. post a picture of your wiring

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

create bitmap data tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    resistor ladder tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
    convert images to ascii art: 1uffakind.com/apptoys/convtoascii/
  • JonathanZJonathanZ Posts: 2
    edited 2010-06-29 20:14
    The wiring is by the book from Parallax as everything else is. Is there nothing that you all can tell me?
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-06-29 20:27
    Maybe it's your wiring. Maybe it's your program. Maybe it's your pin assignments. Maybe your LED is bad. Maybe your detector is bad. Maybe a wire is broken but doesn't look broken. Maybe you have the wrong resistor. Maybe you have bad communication with the PC via debug (more doubtful, but still). Maybe your batteries are a bit low.

You say your program is perfect and your wiring is perfect but it doesn't work, so ... asking you to post the program, the schematic and the wiring seems reasonable.

If the schematic is "by the book from Parallax", then which book/page? A photo of your setup may help a viewer to see where you miswired somewhere, or some other obvious error that may be quickly spotted by someone with fresh eyes.

Take the essential components and test them separately to see if they work on their own (i.e., hook the IR led up to 5v through a resistor and see if it illuminates when viewed through a digital camera; hook up the output of the detector to the cathode of a regular LED, and see if the LED flashes when you aim a regular TV remote at the detector; etc). But that's just shots in the dark w/o more info. Help the forum members help you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

create bitmap data tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    resistor ladder tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
    convert images to ascii art: 1uffakind.com/apptoys/convtoascii/

Post Edited (Zoot) : 6/29/2010 8:40:04 PM GMT