Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX Chip and PDB. — Parallax Forums

SX Chip and PDB.

USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
edited 2010-07-07 22:41 in General Discussion
Hey guys does anyone have a manual on how to use the SX Chip, specially on the Professional Development Board? Atleast one simple circuit or something so I can try it out ?

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-06-29 13:49
    Manual: www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/sx/SXKeyMan2_0.pdf

Software (IDE/compiler/assembler): www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/sw/sx/Setup-SX-Key-Editor-v3.3.0-(R2).zip

You will also need an SX-Key or SX-Blitz to actuall program the chip. See the Parallax Store.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

create bitmap data tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    resistor ladder tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
    convert images to ascii art: 1uffakind.com/apptoys/convtoascii/
  • USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
    edited 2010-06-29 20:49
    Hey thanks for the manual, I already ordered a SX Key, my question is how to properly interface it with the PDB, do you happen to have a simple circuit done on the PDB using the SX? (with source code)
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
    edited 2010-06-29 21:00
    The pins are brought out to female sockets; all you have to do is connect an IO to any of the hardware on the PDB -- most start with LEDs (there are 16 on the PDB).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
    edited 2010-06-29 21:55
    The PDB has a 4 pin header for directly connecting the SX-Key for programming. That's all you need, esp. if you are using the internal oscillator for a clock source.

See the SX manual which has "simplest" circuits, generally a 10k resistor between ground and /RST, 5v/GND power, optional clock source on OSC1/OSC2.

28138-L.jpg

In the above image, if you look at the middle left of the board, there is a 28pin DIP socket for SX-28 DIP chips. Just above that to the left is a 4-pin header -- this is where the Key/Blitz plugs in. Just above the 28pin socket to the right is a 3 pin header (osc/gnd/osc) for inserting resonators (e.g. 4mhz/8mhz/20mhz/50mhz Murata crystals).

If you're very new, start by hooking up a single LED to a pin through a resistor and getting it to blink. Then you'll know you can successfully install and program an SX on the PDB.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-06-30 01:05
    Forgive me for my ignorance but what is a resonator and how does it go with the SX?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-06-30 01:29
    Well, the resonator isn't like the ones you might find on a car!

A resonator is just a clock source for the SX28/SX48 processor. It provides a much more accurate and uniform timing for the chip than using the internal R/C as a clock source. Most of the ones you'll see have three pins (two for the clock and one for ground). The SX processors can also use a traditional crystal or one of the 4-pin clock too.

Robert
    edited 2010-06-30 17:02
    Assuming I get one of those, my real point in getting a SX Chip is to later put it to use on a breadboard, so having the resonator on the PDB will really not do anything good on my real project? Also can anyone give me a source code with a led circuit for the PDB? (using the SX) yes I know I'm asking too much but I don't want to damage anything, also the SX Chip opening thingy is supposed to be facing the SX28 label right? (on the PDB)
    edited 2010-06-30 17:07
    You can use a resonator on a breadboard circuit. The question is if you will need relatively consistent and accurate timing on your project. If you do, then you must have a clock source for the SX. Whether it's installed in the PDB or a breadboard isn't really the issue.

If you want to blink an LED -- hit the documentation. Time to do some reading and homework on your own, then come back with questions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-06-30 17:10
    I have no documentation, the SX Manual didn't really say anything about using the PDB..
    edited 2010-06-30 17:16
    Yes, but it has plenty about how to hook the chip up, writing/downloading a program, etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-06-30 17:21
    My biggest worry is interchanging the I/O ports and possibly damaging the SX Chip or the PDB, which were $26 and $300 (stamp works) respectively...so..yeah..all help is appreciated..
    edited 2010-06-30 17:26
    Ummm... SX chips sell for about $5, but I don't see why you would damage it.

Hook a resistor up to an SX pin (say 470 ohms). Hook the other end of the resistor up to an LED.

Write a short SX program to toggle the pin.

Download it.

If you are unsure which way to insert the chip, etc., etc., HIT THE DOCS. We can't do all the work for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-06-30 17:41
    https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2109448_-1 + S&H, Asking question is what a forum is for. Being here IS looking for documentation.
    edited 2010-06-30 17:59
    THAT IS NOT A REGULAR SX28 MICRO -- it is a Basic Stamp BS2-SX interpreter. You can not use this chip as is on your PDB as is -- it is the OEM chip for "building your own" Basic Stamp, and requires quite a bit of external circuitry (and a 20mhz resonator) to work as a Stamp. Once it is wired up properly, it is essentially a "Basic Stamp". These interpreters are offered for folks who either want to build their own Stamp (to save money) or because they are incorporating the Stamp in a larger (bulk manufactured) project and have lots of material on a printed circuit board.

Do NOT download a program to this chip -- you will overwrite the pre-burned interpreter firmware and you will not get it back.

See OEM Stamp info here: www.parallax.com/tabid/227/Default.aspx

That said, what are you trying to do? Build an SX project? Build a Stamp project? If the former, buy an SX chip from Parallax for $3.95. If the latter, I would first read the OEM info and read the Pbasic (Stamp) Manual where the schematics for a Stamp are shown (brown-out, RS-232 interface, power supply, interpreter chip, EEPROM) if you want to build your own, and post further questions in the Stamp forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2010-06-30 18:01
    Wow, good catch Zoot!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

When all else fails.....procrastinate!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-06-30 18:03
    I think what Zoot was referring to look at the datasheets for the SX chips. They are available on the Parallax website on the page they list the SX Microcontrollers for sale. Each one shows the pinouts for the chips and tons of great information that you'll want to know too. If you are using the SX28 then you'll want to match the version you have (surface mount or DIP) with the appropriate pinout on the datasheet since they are slightly different.

I assume that you probably have the DIP version which would plug right into the board. You should see a notch on one end of the socket (for pin 1) and also a similar marking on the chip. Make sure they match and you're all set.

Robert
    edited 2010-06-30 18:04
    I was under the impression that all I need was the SX Key to program it ?
    edited 2010-06-30 18:08
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-30 18:20
    edited 2010-06-30 18:22
    lol kinda ordered already from jameco..I'm hoping that was the one right? Also resonators should be available at normal electronic stores right?
    edited 2010-06-30 18:45
    Not at places like Radio Shack. Digikey, Mouser, Jameco..yes. But the best place is:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/Resonator/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/358/Default.aspx

Jim
    USMCinfinity said...
    lol kinda ordered already from jameco..I'm hoping that was the one right? Also resonators should be available at normal electronic stores right?
    edited 2010-06-30 18:48
    That one will work with the SX CHIP I just bought from jameco ?
    edited 2010-06-30 18:50
    Jon Williams (JonnyMac) Did a lot of work with the SX in the Nuts and Volts articles:

·http://www.parallax.com/tabid/272/Default.aspx

You will you have to look through them, as there are not categorized as to BS2 or SX chip.

Jim
    edited 2010-06-30 18:51
    Damn...they have a mean shipping...now I remember why I don't buy from them..lol
    edited 2010-06-30 18:53
    Yes. Jameco is selling the same chip Parallax makes.

Jim
    USMCinfinity said...
    That one will work with the SX CHIP I just bought from jameco ?
    edited 2010-06-30 18:54
    You mean Parallax? Be sure and select USPS shipping, not UPS.

Jim
    USMCinfinity said...
    Damn...they have a mean shipping...now I remember why I don't buy from them..lol
    edited 2010-06-30 19:00
    Retard me should've bought the resonator on the same order with the SX Chip, can I still program and stuff without using the resonator? I'll buy it eventually but I have to pay their $13 of S+H which I'll do later. Also is the SX Chip that I bought the correct one ?
    edited 2010-06-30 19:01
    Ok, so it was the correct one, can I use it without the resonator in the as of now ?
    edited 2010-06-30 19:24
    Digikey has better prices and first-class shipping for small items (i.e., they put a regular stamp on it), so shipping can be very very very cheap. Their Murata resonators work fine with SXes and are inexpensive. e.g. search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=490-1215-ND

Yes you can use an SX without a resonator, but only at 4mhz and it won't be precise timing, but it will be perfectly fine for programs like blinking leds, reading buttons, etc. You would not be able to do serial communication (i.e. SERIN and SEROUT) or other operations that require very precise clocks.

Save that BS2-SX interpreter chip and don't burn a program on to it -- it really is worth $12.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-06-30 20:38
    Thanks, bought that one. Btw the reason I'm so eager to use the SX on the PDB is that I nearly broke the BS2 Module trying to get it out and in and my main goal is to do hobby projects that require removing the microchip and installing it on a breadboard, which the BS2 sucks for, so I opted for the SX which is far easier to handle..