Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Access Violation — Parallax Forums

Access Violation

JoelGJoelG Posts: 6
edited 2010-06-30 01:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I just installed the newest version of BASIC Stamp Editor v2.5 off the website, and whenever I try to load the program after a successful installation, it fails to open. I get the "BASIC Stamp Editor has stopped working" error, and occasionally I get an "access violation at address 0056269D in module stampw.exe" error. Nothing I've tried seems to fix this problem.
I've run it in every compatibility mode I can, with and without administrator access.
I've uninstalled my anti-virus software.
I've re-installed twice & restarted my computer a few times.

Can someone please help me solve this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Joel

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-06-26 11:38
    Very unusual.

Tell us about the computer and operating system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-26 16:02
    Have you uninstalled and restarted the computer before reinstalling?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2010-06-26 17:04
    Joel,

Do by any chance you have another serial device connected to your computer? Say a Palm or some other sort of PDA?

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • JoelGJoelG Posts: 6
    edited 2010-06-26 21:17
    Running 32-bit Windows 7 on an Asus EeePC (1.66GGHz Intel Atom w/ 2gb RAM)
    No other serial device attached to the computer
    Will try uninstalling, restarting & re-installing again. I think I did this last night, but am not positive.
    edited 2010-06-26 22:09
    Uninstalled, re-started & re-installed. Still getting same error.
    edited 2010-06-27 03:44
    If you are using the USB port for the connection did you install the drivers from Parallax BEFORE you plugged in the stamp? (very important) Also what board are you using to support the stamp and what cable are you using between the stamp and the computer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-06-27 04:19
    I am using a USB-to-Serial adapter, but not the one from Parallax. I've used it before, so the drivers were already installed. It was however, unplugged while the software is installing.

I'm using the HomeWork board, with the built-in stamp, connected directly to my USB-to-Serial adapter.
    Also, this board works on my other computer just fine. So, I'm pretty sure it's a local computer software issue...
    edited 2010-06-27 16:34
    So, the stamp works on other computers and the usb cable worked before and the software has been removed and reinstalled. Looks like you get to either (best case) do a system restore to a point when it worked or install a version of the software that worked before or (worst case) re-install windows [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-06-28 00:37
    So, the software has yet to ever work on my netbook, but I can get everything to work on my other computer. I've tried previous versions of the software, but to no avail.
    So, it looks like a re-install of windows it is. Kind of unfortunate, but I guess that's how it goes...

-Joel
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-06-28 20:29
    Did your EEEpc come with Win 7 installed? Have you got the standard solid-state drive?

When I changed my (older) ASUS EEEpc from Linux to XP, it was a pretty tight squeeze, but it works like a charm and I can do all the normal Stamp stuff and use Open Office for non-Stamp work. The system is very low on resources most of the time.

Intuitively, I'd say Win 7 would be a somewhat tighter squeeze unless you've got more disk space.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
    edited 2010-06-29 20:42
    No, it came with XP installed, but I got a free copy of win7 Pro through my school. It fits just fine, and runs quite well. I do not have a solid-state drive, but rather a 160GB HDD, so space has yet to be an issue... Resources are only an issue on startup, and then I have not had problems ~90% of the time.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-06-30 01:37
    JoelG

Did you formate the drive to clear XP from it before you loaded Win 7 ???. This access error sounds like XP is still running in the back round. I'm not sure if " C:/formate/ U" works on a solid state drive?

Remember _google_ is your friend.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA

want speed?·want·to use the Propeller?·want to stay with BASIC___www.propbasic.com___

You can feel stupid by asking a stupid question or You can be really·stupid by not asking at all.

·