Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Strange phenomenon from BASIC Stamp — Parallax Forums

Strange phenomenon from BASIC Stamp

HyblademinHyblademin Posts: 4
edited 2010-06-26 02:01 in BASIC Stamp
I first noticed this while testing a program on my BASIC Stamp: When I come into contact with the BASIC Stamp itself, strange things seem to be liable to happen.

When I touch the continuous rotation servos' respective I/O pins on the stamp, they begin to rotate at full clockwise. I thought I was crazy when I couldn't replicate the phenomenon, but then I realized it only happens when I'm not grounded against the metal chassis. I've also discovered after some tinkering that this effect is only present when the USB cable is connected to my laptop (the mini-B end that plugs into Boe-Bot only need be touching any metal part of the assembly). Naturally, grounding myself to the USB cable itself also hinders the motion. However, while a program is running, it is still possible to observe rotation even if the USB cable is not connected. Since the servos are driven by PWM, why is this happening? I'm stumped.

This seems to occur whether I am physically grounded to the earth or not, though I haven't tested this extensively.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-06-25 13:15
    Sounds like you're acting like an antenna, picking up the ambient 60 Hz RF that's around us all the time. I'd have thought a "PULSOUT" signal would leave the pin selected as an output pulled to ground -- but maybe it leaves the pin 'floating' which allows your finger to act as an antenna.

A couple of simple solutions -- 1.· Don't do this.· 2.· Add a 10 Kohm resistor between the I/O pin and ground -- this will give you a local 'zero' signal your finger wouldn't be able to overcome.
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2010-06-25 18:09
    could you pop over to my house? I get a terrible picture on my tv lol.gif

seriously though it's true, you'll be surprised what you see on an oscilliscope when you touch the end of the probe.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-06-26 02:01
    Hyblademin
    ·You didn't post a schematic of your hardware, So I can't tell you for certain Whats wrong.
    I think you have some inputs on the Stamp that are floating and need to be pulled high or low with a resistor, 10kohm is the common value for this PullUp or PullDown resistor.

·I have added a little drawing for PullUp and Pulldown resistors

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA

want speed?·want·to use the Propeller?·want to stay with BASIC___www.propbasic.com___

You can feel stupid by asking a stupid question or You can be really·stupid by not asking at all.
    1143 x 746 - 24K