Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can You Use Digital Servos? — Parallax Forums

Can You Use Digital Servos?

Ken_tnKen_tn Posts: 16
edited 2010-06-16 15:08 in BASIC Stamp
···· Is it possible to use Digital Servos with the BS2. I have a bunch of 9g digital servos laying around and was hoping I could use them some how with the Basic Stamp. If it can be done can someone please give me idea of how to connect and program to them.

Thank In Advance

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-15 23:48
    Digital servos are really no different than standard servos. They can be used with all the programs for the BS2 with no modifications to the programs.

What's a Microcontroller has a section on controlling servos. It's a good read:

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/edu/28123-WAM-v3.0.pdf

Jim

Post Edited (hover1) : 6/15/2010 11:54:30 PM GMT
  • Ken_tnKen_tn Posts: 16
    edited 2010-06-16 00:14
    Thanks for the Reply. The problem was I was not providing enough Voltage. 5Volts was not enough to Drive the servos I had. When I connected them to the VIN work fine. Thanks
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-16 00:18
    It is always advisable to run the servos from their own power supply(or batteries). The surge of power that they take to move from a dead stop will sometimes cause the controller board to reset because of·a dropoff in voltage·for a few milliseconds.

Jim

Ken_tn said...
    Thanks for the Reply. The problem was I was not providing enough Voltage. 5Volts was not enough to Drive the servos I had. When I connected them to the VIN work fine. Thanks
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-06-16 15:08
    I entirely agree with what Hover1 said.... but 5V should run the servos no problem.... It was probably a current problem you were having. I'd be careful about running the servos off higher than 6V. It may work fine and I don't know what the max voltage would be for a standard RC servo, but at 6V they use quite a bit more current than at 5V.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.