Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Voltage testing — Parallax Forums

Voltage testing

AvadoggieAvadoggie Posts: 3
edited 2010-06-16 21:53 in BASIC Stamp
Can somebody suggest a way to check that a voltage is within 12 to 15vdc and cause an action if out of range?

Comments

• AvadogAvadog Posts: 2
    edited 2010-06-16 01:38
    Thanks for the quick answer. The ECE lab diagram looks good except that it doesn't say what the useful input voltage range might be. Do you know?
  • AvadogAvadog Posts: 2
    edited 2010-06-16 01:39
    Thanks for the quick answer. The ECE lab diagram looks good except that it doesn't say what the useful input voltage range might be. Do you know?
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2010-06-16 02:15
    According to the data sheet, it will depend on the power supply voltage to the LM1458. The maximum input voltage to the LM1458 is equal to the power supply voltage up to a maximum of +/- 15 volts (the power supply voltage can be up to +/- 18 volts).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2010-06-16 15:18
    Avadoggie,

That link was to "whet your whistle", just to give an insight as to how the poblem could be solved. RDL2004 expanded on the possible range of voltage.

The reference side of the comparators could be fed by D/A converters making the reference voltages programmable, or, voltage dividers could be used and thereby be fixed.

I would engourage you to look up "window comparator"; they are really quite useful.

Regards,

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • AvadoggieAvadoggie Posts: 3
    edited 2010-06-16 21:53
    DJ and Rick,

Thanks again.

As a volunteer,I am building a bicycle driven generator project for the local children's museum. At a 50 watt load I can see the voltage vary from 0 to about 30 volts dc. After 50w increments to 250w I can get about 12 volts out. I don't want the kids to burn out the 12v lamps I use as loads when they pedal at high speeds and low loads. I am programming the loads to step up on a timed basis but, at low loads there is the danger of overvoltage.
    I am considering large capacitors to even the voltage fluctuation that occurs in each pedal rotation.

Thanks,

Bill