Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is it possible — Parallax Forums

Is it possible

Ken_tnKen_tn Posts: 16
edited 2010-06-15 00:03 in BASIC Stamp
· Ok, I am nuts, but I was reading that you can make a simple seismograph using just speakers. The idea is that speakers contain a coil and any vibration will cause the speaker to generate a small voltage. In the project I read they said that voltage could be detected by using the pickup on a cassette player read/write heads. My question is. Is there enough voltage there to be detected by a basic stamp? If so any ideas on how to read that voltage?

Thanks In Advance For Any Ideas

Comments

• skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2010-06-13 11:29
    You are correct that a speaker can be used as a microphone although it will be highly inefficient, you would need a great deal of amplification (if possible?) to achieve a connection with a stamp to record any small tremors, might be lucky(or not) if you are at the epicentre of a major earthquake. rolleyes.giftongue.gif
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2010-06-13 15:46
    Ken,

I've fooled around with several seismographs. Almost as simple and far more efffective is a super mangnet suspended over a coil, like a coil from a 120VAC relay. You can hang it with string, or better yet some sort of solid bar (wood dowel for example). You can also experiment with dampening using a chunk of aluminum or copper (or any non-ferrous metals). I think you'll have better luck with this method. One siesmograph I made could detect the ocean waves (during a big storm) hitting the beach about 4 miles away.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-06-15 00:03
    Take a look at this months nuts&volts magazine. (June 2010). Pg 33

This uses a LDT0-0128K Piezo Vib.Detector and a MCP601 amp. This should be pretty easy to integrate to a BS2

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA

want speed?·want·to use the Propeller?·want to stay with BASIC___www.propbasic.com___

You can feel stupid by asking a stupid question or You can be really·stupid by not asking at all.

·