Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Controling an 4x20 non parallax LCD — Parallax Forums

Controling an 4x20 non parallax LCD

HorvHorv Posts: 3
edited 2010-06-13 18:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all, I'm a newbie in the LCD controlling. I bought an LCD in a store, but I don't have any idea, how to control it with BS2.
May somebody can help me how to get started?

Comments

• IroneIrone Posts: 116
    edited 2010-06-12 14:12
    How Ya Doin'? You have came to the correct place. There is a lot of information on the home page at Parallax. If you have no problem with the BS-2 go to the home page and hit·store, then scroll down·in the left list till you see Education. Then open up texts. Scroll down till you see Smart Sensors and Application text and click on the picture. At the bottom of the last on the right Parallax will give you the book on (.pfd) and you can save it right on your computer. It is best to read this information (I generally have to read it four times) and then you will understand the answers to any question you can come up with and put it on this page. It also works out better if you do the activities. It gets your fingers to poke the right keys so the BS-2 does not question you if you forget a comma stroke. When you are done with this please come back and read this forum. And do not be afraid to ask any questions because there are a lot of helpful people here.

Casey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I fish, therefore I lie!
  • HorvHorv Posts: 3
    edited 2010-06-12 14:37
    Oh, but its only for Parallax's LCD no? Can I control a non parallax LCD? My LCD has 16 pin, 7-14 are the datapins. Do I write the bits manually? (for example: %10101101)
  • IroneIrone Posts: 116
    edited 2010-06-12 14:46
    You must forgive me because I missed the non part of your question. Did any information come with your LCD? You may get on the web for more help from your venor. If you put the complete name that is on it maybe somebody here may be of more help.

Casey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I fish, therefore I lie!
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2010-06-12 14:58
    Most LCDs of this type use a Hitachi 44780 (or compatible) controller chip. The easiest way I've found to use one of these is with a "Backpack". This is another micro controller chip that accepts incoming serial text from the Basic Stamp and displays it on the LCD.

Parallax has one but it's not sold separately, only soldered to the back of their LCD display.

Here is one I've used in the past:

www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe/k107/index.shtml

Sparkfun also sells one I believe, and I am sure there a quite a few others available.

Also, note that some of the Basic Stamps have special commands for displaying data on LCDs.
    You did not say which one you had.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • HighlandtinkerHighlandtinker Posts: 50
    edited 2010-06-12 17:28
    Horv;

You have definently come to the right place for help. As RDL2004 has directed wulfden.org has a great board that I use alot. I started out getting the basic kit from http://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html
    The K107 is a great adaptation of Prof. Andersons kit. If you go to the above link and scroll down through the pages there is a very good explination of how to use the driver set up. This is only one option for using LCDs. I use both Parallax and noneParallax LCDs. I hope this is of some help and I know you will get lots of help here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Scott
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-06-12 21:22
    Stamp Work, Experiment 11#, 12# and 13# from·page 73, useing parallel LCD, you can download·Stamp Work,·from Parallax·web site:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/440/Default.aspx

Here is a great tutorial, controlling·parallel LCD·with BS2 with PBasic programming code:

http://www.weethet.nl/english/basicstamp2_lcdcontrol.php
  • HorvHorv Posts: 3
    edited 2010-06-13 18:22
    Oh, WOW!!!! This stuff is very cool! Thanks for everybody! [noparse]:)[/noparse] It helped! [noparse]:D[/noparse]