Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Controler problem with Hippo balance bot — Parallax Forums

Controler problem with Hippo balance bot

GrampsGramps Posts: 117
edited 2014-02-09 07:05 in Robotics
At the homeless shelter we get some interesting donations. Awhile back a powered hospital bed came in. We took it to the local medical supply and traded it for a 20 year old power wheelchair. Nice 24volt system that works great. Might make a nice Segway type (100 lb!) balance bot.
To make a long story short we hacked the joystick to see what controls it.
Behold, it seems to be an analog signal.
Forward sends 4.5vac to the motor controller.
Reverse sends 1vac on the same wire. At rest in center is 2.5vac.
Ditto for the left-right-center signal wire.
Don’t have a scope to see what we’re really looking at nor are schematics available.
Any ideas how to “basic stamp2” this thing?

Gramps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
'What is your life?"
"It is even a vapor that appears for a
little time and then vanishes away."
Saint James 61 A.D.

Post Edited (Gramps) : 6/11/2010 10:57:02 PM GMT
2816 x 2112 - 2M

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-06-12 02:11
    Here's a link to the owner's manual:

http://www.rentascooter.com/downloads/_manuals/invacare/Invacare Pronto M6 Owner's Manual.pdf

The following service manual may some wiring/schematic/technical info. It's not the same model but it is the same series. The existing controller seems to be somewhere around 80amps. If you can find a model number/manufacturer on the existing motor controller, you should be able to Google specs and a control signal format for it:

http://www.rentascooter.com/downloads/_manuals/invacare/Invacare Pronto M91 and M94 Service Manual.pdf

If you want to run the Invacare chair from a Stamp, you'll need some very hefty motor controllers or will need to hack into the existing controller. Then it wouldn't be too much different than driving servos.

One thing I would strongly encourage is an easy to find "kill" switch for the motors. I've built several large, heavy robots -- once they are moving they *really* can hurt and do damage when performing unexpected maneuvers during debugging smile.gif or is it [noparse]:([/noparse]

It can be useful to kill the motors (without shutting down all the electronics) in such cases, and for testing things like obstacle avoidance systems while keeping the platform stationary.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php

Post Edited (Zoot) : 6/12/2010 2:18:06 AM GMT
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-06-12 02:30
    Gramps said...

Any ideas how to “basic stamp2” this thing?

Yup.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=908122

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Simple Servo Tester, a kit from Gadget Gangster.
  • GrampsGramps Posts: 117
    edited 2010-06-12 12:32
    The unit model is M1065RD

Zoot, Thanks for the information. I did try to track the model number but to no avail.
    Yes, the kill switch is a very good idea. Just playing around with the handheld almost ran myself down!
    Any tried and true methods you can suggest that work well?

Rich, you have the answer! Why reinvent the wheel? Can you sell me one?
    I’m still not clear about how this handheld controls the controller. Please educate me.

P.S. The true age of this beast looks more like 30+ years!

Gramps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'What is your life?"
    Saint James 61 A.D.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-06-12 16:45
    Gramps -- are you sure that's not the model number of the chair itself? Rather than the model number of the controller? It seems that's the case in my Google searches. Invacare clearly buys motor controllers from third-party vendors.

The kill switch is just that -- brute force. You would want the switch on the cable from the battery to the motor controller. Simple on/off. The only hitch is the high amps. Automotive switches (heavy duty rockers and the like) can often be found that may cover you. Also solar PV companies sell a lot of high-amp DC products (here's a battery switch rated to ~300amps: http://www.affordable-solar.com/perko-dc-battery-switch.htm).

W9GFO's little board is meant to replace the POTS in the joystick -- the variable resistors -- basically you would cut the wires to the pots and splice in that board. I presume the small micro on his board is set to receive serial or pulse commands, it then uses the on-board digital pots to "mimic" what would be joystick settings. Very clever. You don't need a standalone board necessarily, though. You could pick up two digital pots and use SHIFTOUT on the Stamp to control them. It might be the safest and cheapest and easiest way of running the platform, and since you wouldn't have hacked into the controller or main control harness, you could easily put a regular joystick back into the chair if you ever wanted to "de-robo-fy" it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
    edited 2010-06-12 17:44
    Your right! Sorry bout' that!
    the controller # is:

INVACARE MKIV-R11 Controller

Yes to use digital pots was my first thought. Wasn't getting resistance readings on the joystick, but voltage.
    So I'll have to hack a little deeper to find the pots in the little joystick module.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'What is your life?"
    Saint James 61 A.D.
    edited 2010-06-12 18:08
    No, I will not sell you one, But if you PM me your address, I'll put one in the mail for you.

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-06-12 18:43
    The joystick from my Incavare wheelchair has four wires coming from it. Power, ground, X and Y. That's the one I use with the digital pot. However the joystick out of my Jazzy 1101 has 5 wires, it adds a voltage reference and instead of using 5 volts, the power line is 12 volts so the control lines can go above 5 volts.

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-06-12 19:39
    Rich,
    Yes, mine has 4 wires also.
    Sent you my address.
    Sure appreciate your help!

Gramps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'What is your life?"
    Saint James 61 A.D.
  • bjf5051bjf5051 Posts: 1
    edited 2014-02-09 07:05
    I have a 4 wire mkiv a joystick for a Invacare storm series arrow wheel chair. I have my joystick emulator complete (arduino) which outputs 1-5 volts with a 2.44/2.45V neutral center voltage. I have proven that the code will control the robot but the initial startup of the wheel chair causes issues. I need to start up the wheelchair with the original joystick connected and then connect the external emulated joystick, believe this is necessary because of a some safety backups in the wheelchair to ensure the wheelchair is working functionally. If anyone has done this before or has any insight on how to help please let me know! Thanks!