Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 : EEPROM AMAZINGLY small? Workaround? — Parallax Forums

BS2 : EEPROM AMAZINGLY small? Workaround?

IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
edited 2010-06-16 01:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I just tried to see how big is the EEPROM and I was able to just print (DEBUG) the following line "Let's try with another text, which is as long as the first, and shold stop here i know now" 10 times and it's full?

How do you guys do logic with EEPROM so small? Is there a workaround?

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-06-10 12:41
    The eeprom holds a tokenized form of your program, so 2000 bytes can let you do quite a lot. Plus, it's a "real-time" processor with a dedicated task, which typically requires running the same small set of instructions over and over again.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-10 13:43
    You can fit a lot of ordinary statements in the 100 bytes or so that your DEBUG statement occupies.
  • sumdawgysumdawgy Posts: 167
    edited 2010-06-10 14:52
    My experience fiting a fairly sizeable program into a Bs1.. Helped me get a little insight into the storage methods of the compiler. I found I can store a lot more bytes (per location) in a "Lookup" command than I could by storing each byte seperately for use by a "Read" command.

Suggestion: Instead of tranmitting full sentences in debug, send short number patterns and use a Comm program to convert them to thier verbose translations.

(And you thought the Bs2 had no Eeprom... Take a look at the Bs1 stats.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. - unknown
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-06-10 16:13
    2K is 2K and certainly encourages efficient coding! Lots of successful, well-documented BS2 projects & apps out there.

No sir, it ain't in the running for biggest memory, but a more helpful & loyal company and followers you will not find.

BTW you do have other Parallax options, other BS2s with 8 times the memory, or the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-10 18:37
    BS2's 2k are quite enough really, they are too small only for storing text strings, for which I have to find a workaround (e.g. if i want to see written text in the debug window as a part of a program), because text can't be tokensized really.
  • sumdawgysumdawgy Posts: 167
    edited 2010-06-10 19:08
    IceFirePro said...
    BS2's 2k are quite enough really, they are too small only for storing text strings, for which I have to find a workaround (e.g. if i want to see written text in the debug window as a part of a program), because text can't be tokensized really.
    "Can't really?". Them's fightin' words...or at least a challenge [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Just let each string/word you want to display = a byte/charachter of your choosing.

I've built a VB5 program from samples I found from the stamp community that monitors the comm port and responds to my particular config.· I've seen bs2 samples too.· Just build a program that takes yer personal tokens from the stamp·and converts it to your strings.

Or.. just let the tokens appear in a debug screen.· Since they're your tokens, you should recognize them.· As it was said in "The Matrix", "after a while, I don't see the stream anymore.·Instead,·I see blond, brunette, redhead...."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. - unknown
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-11 20:32
    I guess if the EEPROM was too small, Parallax would have changed that 10 years ago. Most people find it sufficient.

Post Edited (hover1) : 6/11/2010 10:42:50 PM GMT
  • BuGeYeSBuGeYeS Posts: 6
    edited 2010-06-15 03:08
    Set up I2C routines to additional eeprom(s) , up to eight, for more storage space(bs2) ,,,I2Cin I2Cout for bs2p

hope this helps
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-15 16:23
    Yep, this will (Set up I2C routines to additional eeprom(s) , up to eight, for more storage space(bs2)), but it will be a long time until I can actually do that[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
    edited 2010-06-16 01:19
    ~S!~
    One of my project using BS2p and VBxpress 2008, i do as suggested above:
    I send a debug with code like C:240 TF1:32 TC1:0 ...
    Which in VB I know what C: means Compass value.
    So I parse each part and display the result.

So this way I was able to send a lot of info and cram a lot more programming stuff!
    So once you know what code you are using and how big, let VB do the rest !

Cheers
    Yosh!