Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What sensors can we find in a broken digital camera? — Parallax Forums

What sensors can we find in a broken digital camera?

IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
edited 2010-06-09 04:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I know this sounds a little weird, but I do have such camera, so I am interested. What sensors would a normal camera have, that can be used along with the basic stamp? Does it have an IR sensor (how it measures distance)?

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-09 04:10
    Take it apart and find out rather than asking people that don't have the camera (how would they know what is in your camera?) You have some great ideas for exploration but you need to learn how to find your own answers, it will serve you well as you progress.

Also most of your questions should go in the sandbox forum since they are not specifically about the Basic Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-09 04:11
    You have a lot of threads going on and I think you need to go deeper for a while in a few subjects rather than continually branching out into diverse, seemingly unrelated areas.

Most digital cameras have one image sensor which is too complex and too tightly integrated with the camera's controller to mess with. Most commonly, they don't sense distance so much as correct focus and for that they use the image sensor. The image sensor is also used for detecting the amount of incident light in order to set exposure.

Use the Wikipedia. For example, you could do a web search for "Wiki Digital Camera" for a discussion of how these work and what main pieces make them up.
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-09 04:35
    Thanks; and I'll calm down (about asking). But you really helped me to get much quicker into what's possible and how (in general). Maybe those topics are good, because most of them do have to do with interfacing/using the BASIC Stamp - and knowing what you can do and how - with it - is an important part of anyone's decision to ever buy it or not. I have mine on my desk, of course [noparse]:)[/noparse] Thanks!