Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Teacher wants to teach STAMP micro processors! Where to start? — Parallax Forums

Teacher wants to teach STAMP micro processors! Where to start?

bstrom1953bstrom1953 Posts: 3
edited 2010-06-09 17:26 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi all,

I would like to teach my juniors and seniors about micros, programming and I/O. What is the best package to get? I have limited funds. My class will have about 12 in it so we're going to have to work in groups.

I saw this at Jameco: BS2 EDUCATIONAL STARTER KIT (includes 28152) . What about Board of Education? I really would like a simple package that would include theory with lab projects.

I have one year of digital, micros, assembly programming on an Intel SDK 8085 trainer. My students range from no programming skills to elementary Python.

Thanks much.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-09 04:00
    There's a tremendous amount of educational information available for the Basic Stamps. All of it is freely downloadable. Go to Parallax's main webpage and click on the "Downloads" button and you'll see a variety of buttons. Start with the Educational Downloads and the Stamp Documentation section.

The HomeWork Board is an excellent starter package for educational use and comes as a 10-pack (for $450). You can buy the same board as the Stamp Activity Kit (www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampProgrammingKits/tabid/136/CategoryID/11/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/313/Default.aspx) including the components needed for all the experiments in the included paper manual.

The item marked #28152 is the stuff you'd add to each of the Homework Boards in the 10-pack to make it the same as the Activity Kit. You may not need the printed manual since the PDF file for the manual is freely downloadable and you can order the parts needed for the experiments in quantity from Jameco or Digikey and save some money.

The Board of Education is easier to use with an AC power cube than the Homework Board which is designed for use with a 9V battery. The Board of Education also has a higher current output voltage regulator and some sockets for servo motors and other accessories. You can do all the same experiments with the Homework Board and you can find AC adapters that will fit the 9V battery clip used on the Homework Board.

Working in groups is a good idea.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-06-09 04:07
    @bstrom1953 - we'd love to get you started. If you send me your shipping address I'll send you everything you need to get the students started with the parts Mike Green described, a Boe-Bot and a What's a Microcontroller? Kit. This is a no-charge, obligation-free introduction from Parallax, okay? We don't do follow-up sales calls either.

I'm pretty certain that you'll like what you receive from Parallax. And I know the students will respond with interest.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ParallaxKen for some insider news.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-09 04:30
    Here's one example of a 9V battery eliminator (AC power supply) that could be used with the Homework Board:
    www.smarthome.com/78540/Plug-In-9-Volt-Power-Supply-Battery-Eliminator-9V-ADAPTER/p.aspx
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2010-06-09 17:26
    Hello!

As Ken stated, we're more than happy to help get your class started. Our education department also has a number of resources available only to teachers to help them get going. Feel free to shoot me an email (juelmen@parallax.com) or give me a call (916-624-8333) any time and I'd be jazzed to answer any of your questions!

-- Jess

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax Inc.