Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pulsout and drive straight. — Parallax Forums

Pulsout and drive straight.

abpccpbaabpccpba Posts: 3
edited 2010-06-08 20:41 in BASIC Stamp
Disregard I'm all wet.

Hello All

I have discovered a new way to make tests for long runs or for that mater any run that is straight.
I put a knife mark on each wheel rim face.
Now I turn the wheels manually so that both marks are at same reference point on the frame. I like to use the spaces between the two screw heads at the front holding the servos in place.
Run the program. Change the Pulsout function 2 units at a time. Until the two marks match across from each other regardless of where they end up compared to the original location at the screw head spaces. Or put another way the numbers are correct if the imaginary line created by the two wheel marks is perpendicular with the bot wheels plains.
Looks like I am with in one degree or less of each other stop point.
I have not run this program on the floor yet to see if it is near accurate.

Now I will try ten seconds backwards and see what happens.

With this system I have eliminated the plain it rides on and removed the wheel relationship with the surface ie. slip between the surface and wheel. Oh to the momentum of the bot in motion.

When I get to the real time test on the ground if bot does drift then I have eliminated the motor out of the system. Pretty much.

I have not looked into the right and left turn motion yet.

abpccpba confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Post Edited (abpccpba) : 6/9/2010 12:58:35 AM GMT

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-06-08 20:41
    Good luck! Like the rest of us, you'll find that open loop control (no wheel encoder feedback) is a hit & miss proposition. There are many variables that affect consistency, including floor conditions (carpet, tile, smooth) and battery type & condition. And you are correct, robot weight and momentum affect starting & stopping. Invariably, it takes a lot of testing to begin to calibrate a robot for navigation. All that testing changes your battery voltage and things change. It's a moving target. Don't expect perfection, but you can get close. For turns, try using just one motor and pivot around the other wheel, instead of driving one wheel fwd and the other back.

Let us know how you make out! Lots of encoder projects here in the forums, when you're ready!

BTW are you using a BoeBot or Scribbler?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."