Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp collecting data and sending it to a computer using RF? — Parallax Forums

basic stamp collecting data and sending it to a computer using RF?

UWSPUWSP Posts: 15
edited 2010-06-12 14:02 in BASIC Stamp
Hello All,

First of all I am new to parallax and its endless possibilities.

I was thrust into on a project at the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point and could use some thoughts from some of you gurus out there. This is what they want me to come up with: They want to have about 9 micro-controllers that will be setup to collect data using various sensors with each of them sending the data collected to one location for logging using RF antennas, probably to a computer. They want the data to be transferred once a day, but the actual data will be collected every 15 minutes or so. They want the data to be transferred to a computer and eventually into an excel document.

I guess I am a little stuck as to how this could work, if even possible, so let me know if you have any ideas. I was thinking that The PINK, PLX-DAQ, or Stamp-Plot could be used. Each stamp will have an RF transceiver and will have to send the data to a centralized unit for collection (a computer)
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Elliott Stephens
estephen@uwsp.edu

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-08 18:17
    What is your budget and what equipment do you have already? What sensors are you using, what do they output and do you need timestamps? You are not even close to choosing hardware until you have a solid plan for the entire system including the PC storage and final display.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-06-08 18:22
    It is frowned on to "crosspost" (same question in more than one forum) If you hurry you can delete your other post by using the rad X in the upper right corner of the post.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • UWSPUWSP Posts: 15
    edited 2010-06-08 18:30
    budget is...nothing to worry about, pretty much what ever I need I can get. as for sensors, we will start with eTape Liquid level Sensor, Temperature sensor, a and maybe a PING sensor. Nothing was said to me about time stamps, it might be helpful, but not necessary. They want the data to be read in excel if possible.

I am completely new to this so I appreciate all the help I can get.
    edited 2010-06-08 18:48
    PLX-DAQ or Stamp-Plot should work for excel. Take a look at the xbees as easy communications devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-06-08 19:43
    ok thanks, I think that actually fixes a lot of my problems.· What would be better for the XBee, the chip antenna or wire Antenna?· Also, I will need an adapter board to hook it up to my microcontroller?· Should I use the Xbee Adapter Board or the 5v/3.3V Adapter Board?

Thanks,
    Elliott
    edited 2010-06-12 13:48
    anyone?
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-06-12 14:02
    What kind of transmission range are you talking about here?

Are the 9 data-gathering locations close enough to each other (say, 10 feet) that the data can be sent by wire to one RF transmitting station? Or are they spread out over a large area?

Why the need for RF? Could the data simply be logged every 15 minutes, and then picked up once per day by hand? (the hardware would be much simpler)

If you do use XBees, you will need some kind of adapter board. Which one you use will depend on the processor you're using.

There are several ways to get the data into Excel. I have been using PLX_DAQ quite a bit, but you could just save comma-delimited text files and read those in. Which you do depends on what kind of setup you're planning to have.

Why don't you describe your project in much more detail?·You'll get much better answers. I'm very interested in following what you do.