Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS module's light doesn't turn on, no response — Parallax Forums

GPS module's light doesn't turn on, no response

Denise MakDenise Mak Posts: 3
edited 2010-06-08 19:24 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I've set up the breadboard-friendly GPS receiver module by connecting GND to Vss, VCC to Vdd, and SIO to P15 as instructed, and when I attempt to run the sample code in GPSDemoV1.1.BS2, the indicator light doesn't even turn on or blink, and I get "Error: No response from GPS Receiver Module". This happens whether or not I pull the /RAW input to high.

I am using a Basic Stamp HomeWork Board, revision D with a serial connection, and powering it with a 9V battery. I seem to remember seeing another post about a 9V battery not being the right power source - if not, then what sort of battery should I use?

I've attached a picture of my wiring in case that's the problem. In the picture I have /RAW pulled high by attaching it to P10 (I added a HIGH 10 instruction·to the beginning of·the code sample).· And SIO is connected to P15.

Thanks,
Denise
1024 x 768 - 170K

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-06-08 13:21
    The wiring does look correct to me. Do you have a voltmeter? Can you check to make sure that you're getting 5V·between the red (Vdd) and blue (Vss) wires?

I just now plugged that same GPS into those same Vdd and Vss connections on my homework board, and attached a 9V battery, and the red light starts blinking right away.

Why don't you try it with _only_ the two power connections? If the light isn't blinking, the program sure isn't going to work.
  • Denise MakDenise Mak Posts: 3
    edited 2010-06-08 17:46
    I just found a voltmeter, and even when the voltage is close to 5V (it looks like 4.8), the light doesn't start blinking. Could my GPS module be broken? Anything else I should try? I'll get a new battery and see if it gets all the way up to 5V.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-06-08 17:51
    The 1 Hz LED on most GPS modules starts flashing as soon as a stable position is acquired. Is the antenna getting enough signal?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
  • Denise MakDenise Mak Posts: 3
    edited 2010-06-08 18:03
    I just called tech support - it turns out the connector on the GPS unit itself with the 6 black wires was loose on top. Got my light on now [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-06-08 18:36
    Excellent. Glad to hear it.
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-08 19:24
    Leon,

That's true on some GPS's, but on the Parallax GPS's, (Polstar), the LED blinks when less than 3 (4?) satellites have been aquired, then turns solid when valid data is being received.

Jim

Denise, glad it worked out. The connections looked good to me. If you want to use Smart Mode, you don't have to connect the /RAW to anything, it has an internal pullup.
    Leon said...
    The 1 Hz LED on most GPS modules starts flashing as soon as a stable position is acquired. Is the antenna getting enough signal?