Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running the basic program on the computer; using BS2 only to control breadboard? — Parallax Forums

Running the basic program on the computer; using BS2 only to control breadboard?

IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
edited 2010-06-08 16:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I am pretty new, just got my BS2 stamp and I'm curious about certain things, as I have good experience with BASIC language from before and I am into some more interesting projects that I can do with the stamp.

Question: Apparently BS2 has some limitations like 2k memory and not having an embedded system clock. I would like to write a program that runs the whole show on my model railroad (which would include changing tracks on winamp for background noise, turning lighting on and off, moving stuff along the day).

Is there a way to interface BS2 with another program, running on the computer? Basically that would mean, make the DEBUG window take commands from the other program and interpret them/send them to BS2?

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Comments

• gablorgablor Posts: 7
    edited 2010-06-08 11:25
    You can develop a program in your PC and interface it to your BS2 stamp via serial port. I use C# and was able to send characters to BS2 stamp that triggers the microcontroller to operate the servo. I did not use the debug instead I spliced a serial cable and connected the DT and Comm to pin 01 and VSS. Be sure to put some resistance between pin 01 and Serial DT (about 220 ohms). I use the servo pins to operate motors to make the unit move forward, reverse, rotate clockwise counter clockwise. I use the instruction "SERIN" to receive signal from serial port and "PULSEOUT" to activate the servo in stamp.

So if you can operate the model railroad with your microcontroller then the PC interface program can do the programming of the activities for your train.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2010-06-08 13:24
    If your leaning toward Visual Basic as a GUI for a Stamp(s)·the following link may help you get started

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=671804

Jeff T.
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-08 16:22
    Thanks, yes, I am more into VB, I'll check the link out!