Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 with Serial to Usb - randomly gives Communication error — Parallax Forums

BS2 with Serial to Usb - randomly gives Communication error

IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
edited 2010-06-10 15:41 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I'm just starting out.

I am using BS2 HomeWork board connected to a Sony VAIO laptop with a Serial to USB-A converter. When I'm compiling/uploading a new firmware (program); randomly I would get a "Communications failure!" error. As i retry, it gets uploaded. Would that be a:

-damaged board
-most likely a problem with the serial-to-usb converter (and windows not reacting to it correctly)

?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-08 15:03
    It's probably a problem with Windows. The download protocol is very sensitive to timing and, if Windows is running something in the background, it will fail. I've had this happen to me when Windows is downloading or installing updates in the background.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2010-06-08 15:11
    IceFirePro,

Check this link. I had the same problem:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=266940

Regards,

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-09 09:08
    Unfortunately, this doesn't help for me. It randomly fails, but at least I think it doesn't fail on 50-80% - it either does, or does not fail at all. Maybe it's because I'm using the Radioshack's cable (which is more expensive than Parallax's) ?
    Or maybe it's my Vaio, who knows...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-06-09 16:50
    Yeah, the Radio Shack cable has a FIFO buffer setting. You could disabled that but the only adapter we guarantee to work with our products is the FTDI unit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
    edited 2010-06-09 20:30
    Can I buy directly this somewhere around Boston, MA, or do I need to order it? I tried both disabling the FIFO buffers, or setting them to 1, but it doesn't really help.
    edited 2010-06-10 06:14
    Can I do something from the settings outside the Advanced window - data bits, parity, stop bits, flow control?

Is ANYONE here using the cable from radioshack (Gigaware) and having issues with it, or not?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-10 15:41
    Most "computer" and "office supply" stores should have usb to serial cables you just need to find out if they use the FTDI chip. Call and find out if the salesperson knows and if not find out the brand they carry and Google for the info. Somewhere on the forum there were several brands that worked but I'd have to search for them and you can do that too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen