Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and third party sensors (a primer given) ? — Parallax Forums

BS2 and third party sensors (a primer given) ?

IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
edited 2010-06-09 03:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone,

I am just starting off with my new BS2 and I have this question:

I have this question. It's an example for a broader application of the technique described:

I have a mini RC helicopter that no longer really flies. But it's RC control and the sensor within the heli are working just about OK.

What would be the way (is there such) to use the RC control/receiver within BS2 stamp/program?

Can I, for example, disassemble the helicopter, take out the receiver and connect it to BS2 (How? How do i measure it generally, how do i read it - it's only a sensor?)

Any advice will be much appreciated! I'm learning.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-08 04:01
    The receiver is not read as it is a receiver, you send to it and it does some job. Depending on the receiver you will need a radio or perhaps a hardwired connection but you would have to take it apart to find out. The stamp may not be fast enough to communicate to your device so you need to find that out before spending too much time on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-08 04:14
    Stephen, you are greatly helping me and I do highly appreciate our multi-conversation tonight.

So, what does the receiver actually do? Or there is another thing : If i keep the helicopter's guts as they are; as the receiver gets the signal from the remote, it activates the DC motors on it. Maybe (for an easier approach) I could take it from there? Is there a way to remove the DC motor, and instead of it - read with BS2 when the activating electricity comes in?
    edited 2010-06-09 02:59
    I have an old remote control unit. Can I have any use of it with BS? E.g. what do I need to attach to the stamp in order to receive the IR pulses and decode them within stamp?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-09 03:07
    Download and read "IR Remote for the BoeBot robot" tutorial. Go to the main Parallax webpage and click on the "Downloads" button. On the next page, click on the Tutorials and Translations button and you'll see the tutorial. This shows how to receive some types of IR remote control pulses and decode some of them. There are a variety of IR remote protocols, all of them different and all requiring different decoding.
    edited 2010-06-09 03:59
    Great! I am into the manual now. It seems like I need an universal remote control and (1) 350-00014 IR detector in order to follow the manual.