Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pressing "play" on an iPod with BS2? — Parallax Forums

Pressing "play" on an iPod with BS2?

IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
edited 2010-06-10 19:17 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone,

I am just starting off with my new BS2 and I have this question:

I would be very interested in the option of controlling third-party devices with the BS2 (by disassembling the devices and connecting them with the module).

I have this question : Is it possible to "click" any button like "play" on an iPod with the basic stamp? Would the right way be to connect a transistor's two ends to the two parts of the circuit (replacing the button on the iPod); and the third pard being connected to the BS2 so that it can receive a current thru P0-P15 and "press" the button?

Would such technique let me integrate the BS2 with other devices in such basic way?

Comments

• Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-06-08 16:29
    Wow, you've been busy!

There are quite a few questions just like this answered here. It seems the most popular is take the IPOD apart, solder wires to the play button and fire it with a tiny relay controlled by the Stamp.

Above mentioned "Modification" is entirely capable of ruining an IPOD, so plan ahead and be careful.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-06-08 19:13
    I have scoured the web for information on serial interfacing with the iPod and the most complete information I have found is for Linux. So recently I ordered a couple of those iPod interface breakout boards and once they get here I will connect my iPod to one of the controlling units I have. I will have my Logic Analyzer connected and decode the serial streams for the various functions. THen it will be relatively easy to write a program on the BASIC Stamp or Propeller Chip to talk to one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • edited 2010-06-08 19:21
    The Apple Accessory Protocol is used for communication between the iPod and.....
    http://nuxx.net/wiki/Apple_Accessory_Protocol#iPod_Remote_.28Mode_2.29

I remember a while back someone hacked the headphone control on Hackaday.· They may have deleted it but I need more time to find it.
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-09 02:46
    Thanks a lot, guys! In general, for starters, assuming this approach, "It seems the most popular is take the IPOD apart, solder wires to the play button and fire it with a tiny relay controlled by the Stamp", what would that tiny relay be (what part)? Is that a transistor, and what kind of? Tanks! Other information is helpful too!
  • edited 2010-06-09 02:52
    From what I've read, the iPod shuffle has an identification chip in the headphone remote that identifies itself to the iPod to protect its intellectual property.· There is a way to emulate it.
  • GSUIndianaGSUIndiana Posts: 8
    edited 2010-06-09 17:11
    " what would that tiny relay be (what part) "

I remember what it was like to have a boat-
    load of ambition and undeveloped skills.

Here is a link to a tiny relay.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062478

Now the last time I took apart an iPod, I was not convinced to
    try and solder to the switches but if you did, you could do
    something like this attached pic.
    couldbeworse.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then use what ever method you want to send pin 0 HIGH
    you could use a button push, or a power on timer , or a
    RFID car reader.... Just for example

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    From···· ·Northwest· ·· Indiana-

Where·· the · introverts · stare
    at··· there·· ·shoes··· and·· the
    extroverts stare at your shoes!
    · ········ 1104983307573008oc.jpg
    746 x 365 - 17K
  • IceFireProIceFirePro Posts: 86
    edited 2010-06-09 20:09
    Thanks a ton! Only one thing : The link to radioshack is not working. What is that "reed relay" part? Where can i read more about them and get a general understanding?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-06-09 23:15
    Received two of these today...PodGizmo. With all the information ChuckZ had provided as well as what is already bookmarked from the web, I can now experiment with sending commands to the iPod. I will of course post my work on my project site as I go. Thanks again Chuckz!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-09 23:43
    Use the Wikipedia. Do a websearch for "wiki reed relay".
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-06-10 16:05
    This is the perfect opportunity to use Gramps' Shadow Bot arm. See http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=903870·and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnr10g4-jiU

You don't even need·the user·elbow potentiometer as an input device, just program the Stamp to drive the servo 90 degrees when triggered by, perhaps another pushbutton. Or an IR remote signal.

See, the IR remote triggers the IR sensor which triggers the Stamp wait routine which triggers the servo routine which moves the arm which is connected to the hand which pushes the PLAY button. So simple! smile.gif

OBC's Gramps has got it goin' on!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
    600 x 350 - 25K
  • sumdawgysumdawgy Posts: 167
    edited 2010-06-10 19:17
    erco said...

This is the perfect opportunity to use Gramps' Shadow Bot arm.

smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. - unknown