Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motion tracking Project Help! Many Questions — Parallax Forums

Motion tracking Project Help! Many Questions

TerrasondTerrasond Posts: 8
edited 2010-06-08 22:50 in Accessories
I am completely new to this comunity, and i am looking for help on a project.

My project is creating a sensor that will track changes in the motion/position of a mooring. basically I need to make some sort of Seismometer-esque device. The mooring will be placed on the seafloor, however there will be a compartment for this sensor.

The parts I·foresee needing are:
  • Some form of timekeeping device
  • An accelerometer or Accel_Gyro
  • A power source (battery)
  • A·mass storage memory device
  • [noparse][[/noparse]I already have a Basic Stamp 2 board]
(·and then of course i need to learn the programing, but thats the next step:P )

I·am unsure of how data loggers work, however if there was a way to record and store data with a real time clock interfaced so that the data is saved relative to time, that is what i need to learn.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-07 20:16
    All of that is do-able so your next step is to plan the project out on paper so you will know what steps you need to take.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • TerrasondTerrasond Posts: 8
    edited 2010-06-07 22:28
    Thanks for the comment Bill. (note: we sent you a message going into more depth about the situation)

The components we have now compiled are:
    • Hitachi H48C Tri-Axis Accelerometer
    • DS 1302 Timekeeping chip
    • Micro-SD Card Adapter
    • Board of Education (USB) - Full Kit (Carrier board, basic stamp)

We are working on figuring out the coding of these components and how to start configuring.

The device will be down for up to 2-3 weeks at a time, so recording date/times is very important to us.

Riley

Post Edited (Terrasond) : 6/7/2010 11:39:27 PM GMT
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-06-08 11:16
    Hello Riley and welcome to the Forum,

If you could add a GPS to your project, you would also get the accurate time, latitude and longitude and some more info, if it needed to.
    It will be a great addition to you system and the data can be study at seamap, in real-time as well as later on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2010-06-08 12:45
    @electrosys, I doubt the GPS signal can be picked up on the sea floor, however if there is a surface buoy attached to the mooring it would be a good approach.
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-06-08 13:36
    I thought·it is·a boat or a floating platfrom, sens·he talk about changes in the motion/position of a mooring, but if·it is a buoy,
    and the buoy is attached to the mooring, so I assume there wouldn't be a kind of movements that needs a GPS positioning.

Post Edited (electrosys) : 6/8/2010 1:42:42 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-08 14:58
    The micro SD card adapter cannot be used with the Basic Stamp. It's intended for use with the Propeller. The only mass storage device you could use with a Basic Stamp is the Memory Stick Datalogger which uses USB memory sticks.
  • TerrasondTerrasond Posts: 8
    edited 2010-06-08 22:50
    thanks Mike,

we have purchased the USB memory stick datalogger.

@electrosys and kwinn,

We are interested in GPS capabilities and looking into it.
    But The device will indeed be placed on the sea floor, and there will not be a buoy or surface marker.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Riley