Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I connect both ext power and USB wire on BS2pe board at one time? — Parallax Forums

Can I connect both ext power and USB wire on BS2pe board at one time?

ooOOooOO Posts: 2
edited 2010-08-29 18:39 in BASIC Stamp
new to BS2pe.

I want to use ext power supply and read data from BS2pe's EEPROM through·USB to my computer.idea.gif

My question is :Can I connect both ext power and USB·wire on BS2pe board at one time?Is it OK?If not,what will happen?

Thanks!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-07 02:45
    I guess my first question is why you would want to. Is the bs2 being powered when it is not connected so it can log data or what.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-06-07 12:38
    Yes, that should be Okay, I don't think the BS2pe is powered from the USB connection. And USB is designed for "hot-plugging".
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-06-07 15:45
    Which board are you using: the MoBo or something else? The MoBo gives you the option (via a jumper) of powering the board externally or via the USB supply. If the board is jumpered for external power, you can still plug in the USB cable without a problem. It just won't be supplying power to the entire board is all -- only to the FTDI chip.

I'm assuming your external power is coming in through the two-pin connector on the MoBo, or via Vin from daughterboard socket A, right? If, instead, an external regulated +5V is being supplied directly to the +5V bus, you should remove the power source jumper from the MoBo entirely.

-Phil
  • ooOOooOO Posts: 2
    edited 2010-08-29 18:39
    allanlane5 wrote: »
    Yes, that should be Okay, I don't think the BS2pe is powered from the USB connection. And USB is designed for 'hot-plugging'.

Thank you .I find it OK