Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
wireless project — Parallax Forums

wireless project

TobiasTobias Posts: 95
edited 2010-06-27 02:35 in BASIC Stamp
what would you advise to use I have 12volts on one end of the control side and then 3ft away I have the output of about 2 amps and want to control it wirelessly were will i get my power source, thinking about solar or wind energy, what is your advise, is there something out there that can transmitt energy?

Thanks, Toby

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-06 18:36
    There is, you can't afford it. There is nothing in the hobby range that could transmit the power you are talking about that distance. If it is only three feet why are you not using wires? More info would be helpful.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • TobiasTobias Posts: 95
    edited 2010-06-06 18:57
    Because wires tear off and I have to set there for a hour and firgure out were the wire should go, I could probably cut the 3 ft to 2 ft. what its for is instead of a trailer wire for the lights, turn, and brake lights I want to do it wirelessly like I said I have 12volt on the pickup and I geuss nothing on the trailer for energy, besides wind when going down the road or sunlight troughout the day.

Thanks, Toby
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-06 19:05
    Already done:

http://www.wirelesstowlights.com/

8-AA bateries and your good to go!
  • TobiasTobias Posts: 95
    edited 2010-06-06 21:50
    Nope I don't like the idea of 8-AA batteries, don't you think I could do this with trouble free, with a solar or wind (while the car is driveing) and get the energy from there....

Thanks, Toby
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-06 22:09
    I guess you could do it with something like this:

http://www.siliconsolar.com/12v-solar-battery-charger-15w-p-133.html

and a SLA battery. You could splice the power into the wireless link I sent earlier with the proper voltage regulation.

Honestly, a wired version is sooo much easier. Wiring is a no brainer. There is gigabytes of wiring help out there. I do it all the time. Have owned and wired at least 6 trailers.

Jim
    Tobias said...
    Nope I don't like the idea of 8-AA batteries, don't you think I could do this with trouble free, with a solar or wind (while the car is driveing) and get the energy from there....

Thanks, Toby
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-06-07 13:05
    Einstein: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

By trying to replace 3 feet of wire with a wind-powered wire-less controlled solution, you're making the solution WAY more complex than it has to be. Not to mention cluttering the solution with unintended consequences -- like how do you have trailer lights when you've stopped moving?· Or if solar, how do you have trailer lights in the dark?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-24 15:45
    Nuts and Volts has an article this month about just this issue. Build your own and enjoy the accomplishment.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2010-06-24 19:07
    Years and years ago when at college (1970ish) one of the lecturers did transmit power over a good 5 feet
    basically it was two seperate coils acting as a transformer but spread about at both ends of a bench, his method was used to teach induction and on the "secondary" coil were insulated probe with which he drew an arc which he then proceeded to show it burning into a piece of wood, the device was in effect a step up transformer.

Obviously AC and no use to the OP but just to prove that you can transmit over distance
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-06-27 02:35
    This months edtion of Nuts and Volts has an article for making wireless tail lights Http://www.nutsandvolts.com