Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
thermal images — Parallax Forums

thermal images

David BDavid B Posts: 591
edited 2010-06-06 02:14 in Accessories
Would it work to use an aluminized front-surface parabolic mirror, like a reflecting telescope mirror, to focus the heat from a remote object to one of the Parallax Melexis temperature sensors?

I'd like to be able to make images of things like a running circuit board, such as a PC motherboard, to show which components are hot, and to make images of doors, windows, and walls in my house in wintertime to show where the most heat is being lost.

Has anyone ever tried this?
·

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-06-04 19:47
    I did, but using a somewhat different method:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=753166

-Phil
  • David BDavid B Posts: 591
    edited 2010-06-04 20:41
    I've been searchng the internet for other projects that have done this sort of thing, without success, but did find an Edmund Optics information page (where I bought the mirror I was
    thinking of using) that says all of their reflective mirrors will reflect very well from near UV wavelengths all the way to well past ten microns in the IR.

So it seems possible enough that I guess I'll order a sensor and try it out.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-06-05 02:23
    That's an interesting idea. My first thought is to use an inexpensive reflecting telescope such as Celestron's FirstScope. It's only about $45 has an Alt/Az base and a fast F ratio.

21024_firstscopeteles_mid.gif

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Simple Servo Tester, a kit from Gadget Gangster.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2010-06-06 02:14
    I found that you could see the ir from a remote control if you look through a digital camera LCD. It won't show heat but night vision is possible.
    · @Phil Pilgrim, I read the thread about your creation a few days ago. What you did was major.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔