Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple BS2 Water Sensor Help — Parallax Forums

Simple BS2 Water Sensor Help

logan996logan996 Posts: 281
edited 2010-06-08 02:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hey guys, i need help to make a simple water sensor that when it gets wet it let's the power flow through it.·So it is basically a switch that turns on when it gets wet. I am making a simple paddleboat out of insulation foam and was going to mount the BS2 and battery supply off the bottom a couple inchs and then have the water sensor on the ground so that·if the stamp finds its watersensor input = 1 then it stops and ENDs the whole program to prevent·a short on the BS2.·I'm just looking for something more or less reliable and simple (if possible a hookup schematic too?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"WOAH! that wasn't supposed to happen!"

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2010-06-04 15:28
    Check out the "Applied Sensors" text for this project.· Here is a link for the download:·

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Books/EducationalTexts/tabid/181/CategoryID/66/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/140/Default.aspx

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-04 22:10
    I would recommend you spend some time creating a waterproof enclosure instead. Unless you have a way to disconnect the batteries you still will damage the chip and water can't do it any good even if you just got it soaked while totally disconnected.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-06-05 04:16
    An alternative solution awaits you at Harbor Freight, depending on your needs. They sell a water sensor alarm for < $10. Box has beeper and battery, wire goes to a remote 2-contact sensor. Loud and reliable. I use one to sound an alert if my washer drain pipe (newly relocated inside the house) ever backs up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-06-05 14:57
    I·would go with Stephen's recommendation and·here is two circuit schematics·that could be at your help too.
    683 x 349 - 27K
    300 x 204 - 6K
  • sumdawgysumdawgy Posts: 167
    edited 2010-06-07 13:05
    erco said...
    An alternative solution awaits you at Harbor Freight, depending on your needs. They sell a water sensor alarm for < $10. Box has beeper and battery, wire goes to a remote 2-contact sensor. Loud and reliable. I use one to sound an alert if my washer drain pipe (newly relocated inside the house) ever backs up.

hah.· My water heater went a year or so back....The only reason basement didn't become a lake is the floor drain in the 1/2 bath.·Still a mess to clean up.· Needless to say I stuck one of those there.· I also stuck another with the dishwasher... My constant fiddling with it cracked it's floor drain connection.· One of my test runs tried to flood the kitchen... sigh.· (As if I wasn't already dealing with enough at the time.)

Looking at electrosys's circuits.. i coulda built both warnings from parts on hand...

for the future..I'm thinking of a serial (open drain) networked monitoring system.· With a monitor panel on each floor.·

One master stamp monitoring comms and updating indicators. will need 3 wires that the panels will use to get the SHIFTOUT data. (1 more for 5vdc to sound piezo alarm)
    Monitor units will use serial comms to respond to query(s) & report status. (2wires)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. - unknown
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-06-08 02:48
    So it's an open drain system to monitor open drains? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."