Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping ))) Receive only mode? — Parallax Forums

Ping ))) Receive only mode?

Dave MathewsDave Mathews Posts: 2
edited 2010-06-07 05:36 in Accessories
I have been looking at toys that take ultrasonic sounds from bat screeches and down-convert (resample) them to human hearing range and was thinking of a detector project with the Ping. Is there any way to turn off the transmitter (hardware trace cuts are fine) and just have it listen and log when sounds are heard?

I'd like to differentiate from them as well; e.g. in frequency if possible.

Didn't see anything on this via searches, so thanks in advance!

Dave

Comments

• SeariderSearider Posts: 290
    edited 2010-06-01 22:20
    I doubt that the Ping will meet your needs. It is a very purpose build device. What you are looking for will be a reciever or microphone with the appropiate frequency response.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Searider
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-01 22:34
    Searider is correct. The PING))) will not do what you want and you can't really modify it to do it.

You need an ultrasound to audible sound converter. There have been DIY versions of this in the past. I remember one in Popular Electronics years ago. Try Googling.· Here was one article I found: http://bertrik.sikken.nl/bat/convert.htm.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 6/1/2010 10:39:25 PM GMT
  • Dave MathewsDave Mathews Posts: 2
    edited 2010-06-01 23:32
    Thanks guys. I was hoping that I could turn off the emitting signal and monitor the input for frequency and log it digitally. So it looks like the IC on the back is doing the math for this to measure distance only as values on the signal line?

Thanks for the link - I have found a lot of analog bat freq down-converters, but want to keep this one in the digital space.

Maybe I will do a mic input for Arduino, and create a frequency counter via an ultrasonic receiver mic.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-02 18:36
    You could prototype something like what you want using a Propeller Demo Board since it has a microphone input. The microphone doesn't have the frequency response you'd need, but it's a start. Later you could substitute an external ultrasonic microphone circuit.
  • legoman132legoman132 Posts: 87
    edited 2010-06-07 00:29
    I'm pretty sure that (correct me if im wrong) there are some pads on the back for programming the on-board SX chip
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-06-07 02:51
    www.allspectrum.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1299

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-06-07 05:36
    One thing you can do with the Ping))) is to cover or remove the transmit transducer so that it can't transmit. Then, when you pulse it, it will simply listen and either return when it hears something in the right frequency range or times out. But that's about it, and you'd have to pulse it again after each return or timeout to keep it in listening mode. However, even it you reprogrammed the Ping's SX, you would still not get broad frequency coverage. This is due to the very narrow bandwidth of the receive transducer itself.

-Phil