Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to connect a BASIC Stamp super carrier board to an alarm clock. — Parallax Forums

How to connect a BASIC Stamp super carrier board to an alarm clock.

YuviYuvi Posts: 7
edited 2010-06-07 17:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hey guys, I would just like to know how I would go about connecting a BASIC Stamp carrier board to an alarm clock. Would I need a special alarm clock and what plugs would be needed? Thanks.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-06-01 20:49
    OK -- to do what?
  • YuviYuvi Posts: 7
    edited 2010-06-01 22:03
    The plan is to connect the BASIC Stamp board to an alarm clock and a motion sensor in order to make the two work together to make a motion-sensing alarm clock which turns off when you pass an infrared beam. I just need to know how to connect the board to an alarm clock, as I'm not sure how I would go about connecting them.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-01 22:43
    It's probably impractical and completely depends on the details of the alarm clock. It would be much much easier for you to make your own alarm clock with the BASIC Stamp board and a DS1307 real time clock with battery backup using a backlit 2 line or 4 line serial LCD and a keypad or some pushbuttons. You could use any kind of motion sensor you want with the Stamp.

SparkFun has a breakout board for the real time clock that includes a backup lithium battery and there are plenty of examples of its use with a Stamp.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-06-01 23:51
    Why not just use the Parallax Universal Alarm Clock Interface Board?
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-06-02 00:01
    One way that you could do this job is, when you pass the infrared beam, Basic Stamp will active a relay, the relay is connected to the
    alarm clock, will turns off the alarm. You could connect the relay to the alarm clock's buzzer, when relay is active the buzzer will be trun
    off, or you could connect a read-relay to the alarm colck's snooze button, to active the snooze function. It's all depend on the type of
    your alarm colck.

Post Edited (electrosys) : 6/2/2010 12:13:15 AM GMT
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-02 20:59
    The problem is the Parallax Universal Alarm Clock Interface is slated to come out after the Propeller II. We can't wait that long.

PJ Allen said...

Why not just use the Parallax Universal Alarm Clock Interface Board?

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-02 21:04
    But seriously, what Mike said was correct. You could do the whole thing in a self contained BS2 project. I think it would be very hard to hack an alarm clock given the small and proprietary circuitry.

BTW, I don't understand the referal to Raisin Bran or the YouTube video, although the young man is quite talented.
  • wiresalotwiresalot Posts: 40
    edited 2010-06-03 23:50
    Sounds simple to me. Is there a snooz, off, and on switch?, on the alarm clock?

wiresalot
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-06-07 16:27
    All off-topic posts have been removed from this thread. Please stay on topic and post pictures relevant to your question.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2010-06-07 17:38
    If you allow the alarm clock to sound it's alarm then you could use an audio pickup connected close to the alarm clock alarm source to sense when the alarm is on or off.

or

Exchange the alarm buzzer or bell with an LED or infrared LED and use a sensor to sense when the alarm goes on.

When I say replace with an LED, you will need to specify a bit more on the specifics of the actual alarm clock you are using. Wind up? Radio Alarm? Buzzer? Bell? kind of hard shooting in the dark here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!