Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Easiest way to control Servos — Parallax Forums

Easiest way to control Servos

debbiekdebbiek Posts: 12
edited 2010-05-30 20:40 in BASIC Stamp
Please help the newbie :-)

I'm trying to learn how to do animation on small size items. Would it be best to buy a BASIC stamp or a Propeller Chip to control approx 3-10 servos? I need to learn the mechanics, and the how to do the programming to accomplish this. Can I learn how to do this from the downloadable manuals (for either the BASIC stamp or the Propeller Chip), or if not, can someone recommend a simple starter book? I'm a long-time desktop publisher so I know my way around the computer.

Thank you SO much! Debbie

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-05-30 19:10
    Start with a Propeller Servo Controller which can handle up to 16 servos. A BASIC Stamp can handle up to 3 servos, but really needs some kind of external controller for more than that. You can use the Servo Controller's standard firmware and either a Stamp or a separate Propeller chip for controlling the controller or you can modify the Servo Controller's firmware to do what you want. The advantage of using the Servo Controller is that it's already set up mechanically and electrically to handle a lot of servos. You can download the documentation for it from Parallax's webstore page for the Controller.

I would strongly recommend using 12Blocks for programming (www.12blocks.com). You could use this with the Propeller Servo Controller if you want.
  • debbiekdebbiek Posts: 12
    edited 2010-05-30 20:40
    Mike thank you SO much for this info! I've been on the Propeller forum too, and I was given the same advice about using the Servo Controller. Thank you so much for the recommendation on what to use for programming. I'll look into that. You've been very helpful.· Debbie

Mike Green said...
    Start with a Propeller Servo Controller which can handle up to 16 servos. A BASIC Stamp can handle up to 3 servos, but really needs some kind of external controller for more than that. You can use the Servo Controller's standard firmware and either a Stamp or a separate Propeller chip for controlling the controller or you can modify the Servo Controller's firmware to do what you want. The advantage of using the Servo Controller is that it's already set up mechanically and electrically to handle a lot of servos. You can download the documentation for it from Parallax's webstore page for the Controller.

I would strongly recommend using 12Blocks for programming (www.12blocks.com). You could use this with the Propeller Servo Controller if you want.