Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Microcontroller Specs — Parallax Forums

Microcontroller Specs

USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
edited 2010-05-30 18:14 in BASIC Stamp
Can someone give me the specs from both the homework board and the stampwors microcontrollers??

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-05-30 16:37
    The StampWorks Manual and tutorials use the Parallax Professional Development Board. This board is designed to accommodate all of the Stamp modules as well as the SX microcontroller. The Parallax product webpage for the Professional Development Board describes what is provided on the board. Refer to the product webpages on the individual Stamp modules for details. If there's something specific you need in the way of information, ask. The BS2 Stamp uses a PIC16F57 microcontroller and the I/O pin specifications are available from Microchip. The other Basic Stamps use an SX microcontroller and the specifications for that is downloadable from Parallax (www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/datast/SX20AC-SX28AC-Data-v1.6.pdf).

The Homework Board uses a version of the BS2 and the PIC16F57 datasheet would apply for the I/O pins.

Note that all of the Stamps use an interpreter in the microcontroller's ROM to interpret Stamp Basic byte codes. You cannot program these in any other way (like assembly language). Execution speed quoted is approximate and stated in Basic statements per second. Refer to www.emesystems.com for the results of execution speed testing for several Stamp models. Use the "app-notes" link.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 5/30/2010 4:42:50 PM GMT
  • USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
    edited 2010-05-30 17:51
    So I could use my honework board with my stampworks...?
  • USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
    edited 2010-05-30 17:54
    Also what microprocessor does the stampwork brings?
    edited 2010-05-30 18:05
    You could use the Homework Board with the StampWorks projects with three caveats:

1) The Parallax Professional Development Board's power supply can provide up to 1A while the Homework Board can only provide up to 1/2A. In addition, the Homework Board has only a clip for a 9V battery which is wholy inadequate for supplying that sort of current. You can buy a compatible battery clip and wire it to a 7.5V 1/2A "wall wart" power supply.

2) The Professional Development Board has a lot of components on the board including a pulse generator, pushbuttons, displays, and LEDs. Many of the StampWorks projects make use of these. You'd have to supply the equivalent from your "junk box".

3) The Homework Board has 220 Ohm resistors in series with all the I/O pins to protect them from most wiring errors. For most uses, these won't make any difference. You do have to remember that they're there and, for some of the StampWorks projects, compensate for their presence.
    edited 2010-05-30 18:08
    Most of the StampWorks projects require the use of a BS2 Stamp which is the same microprocessor provided on the Homework Board.
    edited 2010-05-30 18:14
    You're asking a number of related questions and not providing much in the way of information. This is a very inefficient way to get information in a forum setting. I suggest you back up and give some context for your questions including describing what you have and what you're trying to accomplish. It sounds like you have a Homework Board and a StampWorks Manual and you'd like to use what you already have rather than buy something big and expensive to be able to work through the StampWorks exercises.