Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wifi help needed — Parallax Forums

Wifi help needed

CordcoleCordcole Posts: 16
edited 2010-06-09 20:21 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi,

I have the basic stamp homework board that i picked up at radio shack awhile ago. I am doing a project for school, I need to be able to control 5 servos over a wifi connection. I would need to connect a WIFI adapter ( link a linksys router ) to the basic stamp board and have a python or visual basic or c program running on my computer to move the servos.

Any IDEAS

thanks burger.gif

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-05-30 04:42
    Your first task is to find a wifi device that can communicate over serial protocol. There may be some but I don't have any info although wiznet, microchip enc28j60 and several others may suit your puropse.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • CordcoleCordcole Posts: 16
    edited 2010-05-30 13:01
    OK, what if i took the serial port on the basic stamp and hooked that up to the serial port in the linksys router like here www.jbprojects.net/articles/wrt54gl_mods/ and hook them both together.

thanks
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2010-05-30 14:11
    You might look into a dedicated device such as this on:
    http://www.gridconnect.com/wi232.html

There are also TCP/IP to Serial converters that could be connected to your Wifi router, such as this one:
    http://www.precidia.com/products/ipocket_232.html

-Martin
    edited 2010-05-30 19:08
    ok i have built all the circuits but how would i code that idea.gif
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-05-30 20:04
    Lantronix WiBox is a serial to WiFi device that enables access to remot devices. It is the cheapest that I have find, $117 + free shipping

IMG_diag_dn-wireless.gif·· IMG_wibox2.jpg
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2010-05-30 20:09
    Code what? You have built what? Can I ask what level of school this is for, and what you have done besides posting questions in an effort to complete your assignment? This board is not meant to do things for people, but rather to assist.

-Martin
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-05-31 03:44
    Somebody said...
    ok i have built all the circuits but how would i code that
    If you will show us what you have built and with what parts perhaps we could help with the code but not if we don't know what we are coding for.
    Also it would help to know what you are sending from the PC to try to control the servos.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-05-31 12:42
    Ok, i have connected 5 servos to my basic stamp on pins P0, P1, P2, P3, P4. and i have a linksys router that i am buying the correct parts to hack it up. Basically, the basic stamp should just be able to communicate to the router and the servo ( input and output ). Just like in this project were they hook it up to a Arduino

thanks hope that helped
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2010-05-31 12:52
    Cordcole said...
    and i have a linksys router that i am buying the correct parts to hack it up.

Is the router a GL?

How familiar are you with linux and its installation on embedded hardware?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"
    edited 2010-05-31 13:53
    I am familiar with the router, i will probibly use x-wrt which is like whiterussian 0.9
  • Alex-VIIAlex-VII Posts: 8
    edited 2010-06-09 19:55
    I also need a WiFi communication with Boe-Bot or, even better, with Stingray. As far as I understand there will be soon WiFi Module for BOE http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=393449&p=1&ord=d

Meanwhile I can well navigate Boe-Bot via Easy Bluetooth Module.
    edited 2010-06-09 20:21
    I cant wait for that