Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PIR Power — Parallax Forums

PIR Power

Ken_tnKen_tn Posts: 16
edited 2010-05-28 01:29 in Accessories
·This is the first time I have worked with a PIR. I have played around with Basic Stamps for a number of years on and off. I have used most of the other sensors without problem but with the PIR I cannot get it to work correctly. I saw in another post that made reference to Google search·and I followed that and from what I read is that there might be a problem with noise and that a seperate power source is needed to make it work? I have never had this problem with other sensors. Is this something that is required to use the PIR a seperate power supply?

· The PIR stays High and if I put the Pin Low at start up then it stays Low? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ken_tnKen_tn Posts: 16
    edited 2010-05-28 00:53
    Found another post and when I cover the PIR completly it still stays high so I guess the sensor is bad.
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-05-28 01:01
    Did you let the sensor "warm-up" without any motion or body parts in view of the sensor for 60 seconds after power-up? this is necessary for proper detection/operation.
  • Ken_tnKen_tn Posts: 16
    edited 2010-05-28 01:16
    Yes, I completly covered the PIR and turn on the power and have left it on for over 5 mins and the LED I have connect stays off when I remove the cover then the LED starts to blink on and off very slowly like about 1 second apart.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-05-28 01:29
    Several posts about bad PIR sensors here lately. Maybe I better test the ones I just got from DoD a few weeks ago and tossed in the cabinet...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."