Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Could generic USB Bluetooth dongle work with Sumobot? — Parallax Forums

Could generic USB Bluetooth dongle work with Sumobot?

tomutomu Posts: 3
edited 2010-06-02 00:56 in BASIC Stamp
I have Sumobot with the RS232 to USB adapter that came with the bot. I have also an extra USB Bluetooth dongle from a Targus mouse. Can I rig up this generic dongle to the bot adapter to get Bluetooth communication to the PC?

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-05-28 00:31
    You will not succeed connecting a slave bluetooth device to the slave sumobot connector. You need a USB master and the bot isn't one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • tomutomu Posts: 3
    edited 2010-06-01 18:27
    Thanks Stephen for your reply. I'll look for a USB master for this.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-01 18:51
    1) You will still not be able to program the Sumobot via Bluetooth. The downloading mechanism won't work over a wireless link because of timing delays. You can use wireless to send data to and from the Sumobot.

2) You will probably have a much easier time using something like Parallax's Easy Bluetooth adapter rather than trying to use a Bluetooth dongle and a USB host adapter.
  • tomutomu Posts: 3
    edited 2010-06-02 00:04
    Thank you Mike. I think the Easy Bluetooth adapter is the way to go. The only drawback I see is that on Sumobot, that will eat space on the breadboard. Am I understanding this correctly?

Tom
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-02 00:56
    You might be able to find some other way to mount the Easy Bluetooth. I'm not familiar enough with where there might be little bits of space inside the Sumobot where it might fit and you could run a cable from the Easy Bluetooth board to the breadboard area.