Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beverage Delivery System — Parallax Forums

Beverage Delivery System

norris56norris56 Posts: 69
edited 2010-07-20 06:36 in Robotics
The Beverage Delivery System (BDS) is an ambitious project of mine to create a fully automated inter-home delivery system. Anyone who has built a robot has, at one point or another, been asked the question “but can it bring me a beer?” I’m sure that like me, roboticists all over the world have grown weary of this question. The Beverage Delivery System is the answer to this age old problem, a problem that has plagued mankind since the invention of the canned beverage.

Baxter is the transport component of my Beverage Delivery System (BDS). Supporting Baxter is a fixed location dispenser robot called RoboFridge. You can think of a RoboFridge as a kind of soda vending machine that does not require money. Like a real vending machine RoboFridge supports the dispensing of canned beverages. The concept of the BDS could even be extended to non-food items like medications, DVDs and books.

The BDS process starts when a user requests an item using a simple remote control. Baxter is activated from his sleep mode and navigates to RoboFridge using a variety of navigation techniques. These include dead reckoning using encoders, IR beacons, and line following. Once he arrives Baxter will initiate a docking sequence with RoboFridge. After docking, RoboFridge deposits the canned beverage into Baxter’s cargo area. Baxter then undocks and navigates back to the thirsty user to deliver the beverage.

Finally I can get a frosty cold beverage delivered to me in my favorite easy chair without any effort or argument.

Here is a short video of Baxter and RoboFridge working together. Baxter appears in the current issue of Robot Magazine and RoboFridge will be in the next issue.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvOGwylZOM4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com

Comments

• Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2010-05-27 14:49
    Lol! That is cool!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

When all else fails.....procrastinate!
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2010-05-27 15:57
    Ha sweet!!

.. this sounds like my old Beer bot back in College .
    Used a bar-code reader select what brand one wanted .

Peter KG6LSE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Carpe Ducktum" "seize the tape!!"
    peterthethinker.com/tesla/Venom/Venom.html
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway. —Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
    LOL
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-05-27 16:36
    'Very clever use of a swinging lid trashcan! I like it!

-Phil
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2010-05-27 17:38
    Peter-
    Beer Bot? Do tell, I'd like to hear!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

When all else fails.....procrastinate!
  • lisaniellisaniel Posts: 1
    edited 2010-05-31 12:45
    Thanx for sharing

Post Edited By Moderator (Bean) : 5/31/2010 3:20:25 PM GMT
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2010-05-31 13:37
    Wow, this is awesome!! This is the coolest robotics platform ever! Nice use of a hidged lid trash can to carry a beverage to the user! Nice job!
    It was even good enough to attract a spammer..... (been reported)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my new website!!

Use the Propeller icon!! Propeller.gif

Follow me on Twitter! Search "Microcontrolled"
  • eod_punkeod_punk Posts: 146
    edited 2010-06-01 13:04
    Very impressive, I love seeing your projects. Now you need to make it take an empty one from you and put it in the trash after you get the fresh one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There is no problem that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives!

EOD Memorial
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2010-06-03 16:14
    Steve,

When will the BDS software appear on the Robot Magazine website? I have the latest issue, but the website has not been updated.

Nice project.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2010-06-05 19:34
    Steve,

Very nice, I guess next you can program Baxter to carry away your empties.

Cheers,

Zappman

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Visit Zappman's Blog at Savage Circuits
  • eod_punkeod_punk Posts: 146
    edited 2010-06-10 13:58
    Congrats on making Hack-a-Day!
    http://hackaday.com/2010/06/09/baxter-the-butlerbot-and-robofridge/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There is no problem that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives!

EOD Memorial
  • paripaluparipalu Posts: 1
    edited 2010-07-20 06:36
    I think getting it approved by your local government might be hard, but you could call your service "Designated Driver."
    ======================

Post Edited By Moderator (Bean) : 7/20/2010 12:40:01 PM GMT