Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mushrooms greenhouse controllers — Parallax Forums

Mushrooms greenhouse controllers

NeroInfernoNeroInferno Posts: 2
edited 2010-05-25 06:23 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
I've in my to make a controller for temperature, humidity, light and gas exchange (CO2) for a mushrooms greenhouse.

I need to check the temperature, the humidity, light cycle and gas exchange and start some apparates when some temp, humidity and (CO2) gas level is achieved. The light cycle must be under a timer. On more I need the CO2 has priority one, and then humidity and temperature has got priority 2 (I cannot waste the heat and the humidity blowing fresh air in the greenhouse just after heated and given the right humidity rate, or the temperature and the humidity will fall).

I really don't know anything of programming and of electronic, but I canfind anyone who help me in the electronic part of the project.

Do you know is a project I can success or isn't for a newbie?

From where I can start?

Thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse]
Fabio

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-05-24 22:01
    I don't see why you couldn't do this so for starters it would help if you would draw up a 'flow chart' description of what needs to be measured and what happens when a setpoint is reached.
    Like:
    1. Check temperature,
    if temperature < 65 or > 75 adjust temperature
    2. Check humidity,.........
    repeat

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • LloydsLloyds Posts: 75
    edited 2010-05-25 01:44
    Fabio,
    It's great doing a real world project that you have a real interest in.
    Your project will be a challenge but the resources are here, and the help is too.
    Sounds like you'll have inputs from temp, humidity, and CO2.
    Outputs will probably be to relays or solenoid valves to turn things on and off, I guess. Parallax has I/O boards that will interface to all that.
    Like Franklin said, the flow charting and logic will be all yours. I find the Stamp Works manual in the downloads section, and some of the Nuts and Volts columns very useful as examples. You can usually find something close to what you are trying to do, adapt it, and then just tie them all together.
    Just build it one section at a time, like getting the temperature control to work first. Then keep adding.
    Good luck,
    Lloyd
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2010-05-25 05:48
    I would start by looking at the "Stamps in Class" manuals, which are all downloadable here: www.parallax.com/tabid/362/Default.aspx

The learning track that you'll want to pursue is the "sensors" track. If you need a kit to get started with, either the Activity Kit or Discovery Kit would be a good choice. The Discovery Kit is more flexible because you can use a variety of Stamp modules, but the Activity Kit is nice if you don't need everything the Board of Education requires.

www.parallax.com/tabid/136/List/0/CategoryID/11/Level/a/SortField/0/Default.aspx

When moving on to your fianl design, you can use any of the board or modules thast best fit your requirements: www.parallax.com/Products/Microcontrollers/tabid/81/Default.aspx
  • NeroInfernoNeroInferno Posts: 2
    edited 2010-05-25 06:23
    Hello guys,
    thanks for the replies!

@Franklin: Okay I'll post a flow chart in future [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thank you!
    Fabio