Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ARLISS Team NH - Page 48 — Parallax Forums

ARLISS Team NH

Comments

• Jake GoldsberryJake Goldsberry Posts: 85
    edited 2011-04-05 04:04
    Justin and emily!
    Good news! I do still have to run this by you, but I have a 100-hundred percent fail safe mechanism that will work every time as long as the wheels don't spin in the air.
    And yes, it is very simple; It uses the wheels servo!

Simply put- When the ASP hits the ground, the wheels begin to turn (hopefully). as they begin to turn, a Hook that goes through the wheel and is securely held in place will turn with the wheel. once it reaches a certain point, the rope slips out of the hook and unwinds around the wheels servo, and out through the hole. We can use the Kevlar and everything!

Tell me what you think
    -Jake-
  • Justin DaCostaJustin DaCosta Posts: 59
    edited 2011-04-05 04:49
    Hi,

That idea certainly seems promising. Since our project seems to be the most lagging, and since we live right down the street from each other, I was wondering if I should come to your house and try to prototype our ideas and test them sometime today or tomorrow, or Wednesday. Do you have tools at your house that we could use? I just really think we need to really get working on this since now we are back on the design phase, and on the critical path. We are either in great shape after we meet, or if things don't work, back at the drawing board... I'm sure the team wants to know as soon as possible. If things don't work, it would be good to get more ideas from others, so we would still have another chance to work on it this weekend.

Justin
  • Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-04-05 05:20
    ... I was wondering if I should come to your house and try to prototype our ideas and test them sometime today or tomorrow, or Wednesday.

Whose house, and when? As I mentioned to Obie, I have an event at 7 PM on Wednesday in Laconia.

Tonight (Tuesday) and maybe Thursday, I have to get rocket parts together for the Harvard SEDS project because they want to do a build session this coming Saturday morning from 9 AM ----> 1 PM. Ellen e-mailed last night just as I was ending our chat on the Parallax forum, and right before bedtime. I have to fabricate (make) some of the parts, like the fours sets of fins, 8 centering rings, shock lines, etc. It's going to be a long evening or two working in the basement.

Mr. Kibler
    :nerd:
    edited 2011-04-05 05:31
    Hi Mr. Kibler,

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking to Jake to come over to his house and prototype some of our ideas for the parachute release mechanism.

Justin
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-04-05 07:48
    I propose the following:

1)
    move/place --
    zerocounter VAR byte
    upstairs with the rest of the VARiables
    and make it
    zerocounter VAR Nib ' a nib is 4_bits, a val <= 15

2)
    new:

flightbit VAR bit
    landing VAR bit

flightbit = 0
    landing = 0

3)
    Axe Mainmawdmovement and
    Replace Checkliftoff and Liftoff with --
    Liftoff:

IF flightbit = 1 THEN zerocheck
    IF (feet > ____) AND (flightbit = 0) THEN setflightbit
    RETURN                    

zerocheck:
     IF (flightbit = 1) AND (feet = 0) THEN incr_zero
     RETURN

incr_zero:
      zerocounter = zerocounter + 1
      IF zerocounter > ____ THEN setlanding
      RETURN

setflightbit:
      flightbit = 1
      RETURN

setlanding:        
      landing = 1       ' landing bit - is Movement called > once?
      GOTO Movement

Have a think. I'm at home after 22:30 GMT (UTC)

* ____ represents the target/threshold value, you decide
    edited 2011-04-05 10:57
    When I was writing the above, I remembered, as I often must, that it's not OK in PBASIC to IF...THEN math_operation.
    That has to be part of an IF..THEN..ELSE

And then I recalled your (pl.) program --
    MainMAWDMovement:
    IF feet = 0 THEN zerocounter = zerocounter + 1
    In an IF..THEN the THEN has to be an Address (a subroutine name)

It allows it to Compile(Tokenize) with an operation, but PBASIC Help states that the
    consequent should be (to) an Address.

Make sense?
    edited 2011-04-05 12:01
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    When I was writing the above, I remembered, as I often must, that it's not OK in PBASIC to IF...THEN math_operation.
    That has to be part of an IF..THEN..ELSE

And then I recalled your (pl.) program --
    MainMAWDMovement:
    IF feet = 0 THEN zerocounter = zerocounter + 1
    In an IF..THEN the THEN has to be an Address (a subroutine name)

It allows it to Compile(Tokenize) with an operation, but PBASIC Help states that the
    consequent should be (to) an Address.

Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. It seems almost too simple but it should be, since all we have to do is write and move a couple of lines of code around. "Where?" is the question, and how will the code read.

So it "might" look something like this then, and be as simple as this one line of code?

MainMAWDMovement:

IF feet = 00000000000 THEN GOSUB movement (<
    subroutine name/address is "movement")

Will the program read 10 (or more) consecutive zeroes in the format I showed above?
    edited 2011-04-05 12:08
    I propose the following:

1)
    move/place --
    zerocounter VAR byte
    upstairs with the rest of the VARiables
    and make it
    zerocounter VAR Nib ' a nib is 4_bits, a val <= 15

2)
    new:

flightbit VAR bit
    landing VAR bit

flightbit = 0
    landing = 0

3)
    Axe Mainmawdmovement and
    Replace Checkliftoff and Liftoff with --
    Liftoff:

IF flightbit = 1 THEN zerocheck
    IF (feet > ____) AND (flightbit = 0) THEN setflightbit
    RETURN                    

zerocheck:
     IF (flightbit = 1) AND (feet = 0) THEN incr_zero
     RETURN

incr_zero:
      IF zerocounter > ____ THEN setlanding
      RETURN

setflightbit:
      flightbit = 1
      RETURN

setlanding:        
      landing = 1       ' landing bit - is Movement called > once?
      GOTO Movement

PJ,

Thanks for the suggestions and changes to the program. I'll ask Dylan and Andrew to change the program and add your new code, then forward it to me so I can upload it and run the robot in the vaccum chamber.

Hold on to your (proverbial) hats. I'll report back as soon as I have the updated program and run it...

Mark

Mark
    edited 2011-04-05 13:09
    My intent may not be clear. I'm stuck on Flag Bits, it's
    my style. But I could stand to review Boole, often.

Another approach may serve.

There are two instances of IF..THEN'ing to an operation, one in
    MainMAWDMovement and the other in Liftoff (original.)
    They could go with the following, too, but testing will tell.
    IF (feet = 0) THEN
    ELSE
      zerocounter = zerocounter
    ENDIF

IF feet > 1000 THEN
      thousandcounter = thousandcounter + 1
    ELSE
      thousandcounter = thousandcounter
    ENDIF

• Emily RoseEmily Rose Posts: 53
    edited 2011-04-05 15:21
    Justin,
    In all truth I cant understand your drawing very well, would you please explain your ideas, at this point anything is welcome. Also I wouldn't call Jake and I veterans we are almost as new to this as you are. Dylan let me know that we cant use a servo motor so lets come up with a great alternative! I'll put my think cap on and start brain storming...What does Jake think?
    Emily
    edited 2011-04-05 15:24
    Also, if we can let's try not to reinvent the wheel, we can always reverse engineer something from research.
    Emily
    edited 2011-04-05 16:08
    Hello MAWD Fans,

Even though all PBASIC Help's IF..THEN examples go to Addresses, and the IF..THEN..ELSEs do operations, by experimenting with DEBUGIN I find that an IF..THEN math operation works.

I'd like to see the testing we'd mentioned last night: MAWD data along with zerocounter and thousandcounter status. Note Bene -- Zerocounter and Thousandcounter can overflow if a MAX is not specified.
    An example is attached, so you can see what I mean. (Hope you have access to your BoE, et al.)

-- PJA --
    edited 2011-04-05 16:19
    For that matter, you could fake MAWD altimeter data (mawdin) by substituting a DEBUGIN subroutine (DEC5), as per my example; no bell-jar required.

PE -- Volunteer/s? I'm not bumming on you. You have the beast with all the sensors and I'd probably crater something before I omitted all the contingencies. Make a "special" MAWDget that does a DEBUGIN. And add DEBUGs to monitor the faked altimeter data and the zerocounter and thousandcounter results.

Make sense?
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-04-05 16:31
    Do you want us to conduct the testing with or without the items you asked us to add?
    edited 2011-04-05 16:32
    Emily Rose wrote: »
    Justin,
    In all truth I cant understand your drawing very well, would you please explain your ideas, at this point anything is welcome. Also I wouldn't call Jake and I veterans we are almost as new to this as you are. Dylan let me know that we cant use a servo motor so lets come up with a great alternative! I'll put my think cap on and start brain storming...What does Jake think?
    Emily

Hi Emily,

The idea is that in both wheels will have a groove on the inside of them which extends to the edge of the wheel on one side. In this groove a rod will be inserted. when the wheel turns the rod will be pushed out of the groove by the plexiglass. Does this make sense?

Justin
    edited 2011-04-05 16:42
    Dylan,
    With the bell-jar or the fake/debugin (tell me)?
    Y'know what, either way,
    Work with what you have (have had.)
    edited 2011-04-05 16:43
    more so yes, I think its a good idea to try, Mr Kibler? what do you think about this?
    Emily
    edited 2011-04-05 16:45
    Dylan,
    One of you guys has all the gear (BoE, etc.) or is that stashed away somewhere?
  • Andrew (ARLISS)Andrew (ARLISS) Posts: 213
    edited 2011-04-05 16:48
    Dylan,
    One of you guys has all the gear (BoE, etc.) or is that stashed away somewhere?

Dylan and I both have a clone of the ASP-Bot, minus the carbon dioxide sensor and MAWD.

-- Andrew
    edited 2011-04-05 16:54
    Dylan &/or Andrew,
    Will it hang up without the CO2 sensor or just do "bad data"?
    edited 2011-04-05 16:57
    Dylan &/or Andrew,
    Will it hang up without the CO2 sensor or just do "bad data"?

The program functions just fine without it, and will spit out bad data in the CO2 (mV) and CO2 (ppm) columns. Also, we're planning on having Mr. Kibler test the program in a vacuum chamber once the necessary changes are made to the program.

-- Andrew and Dylan

EDIT: Do you want us to test it with or without your suggested changes?
    edited 2011-04-05 17:00
    Right, right.
    But it'd be a lot less arduous, fuss and bother wise, to get a handle on the zerocounter'ing and thousandcounter'ing if you can manage a fake/debugin "on the bench" (at home) and see if it ever gets to "Movement". See if either overflows, and that like. Yes?
    edited 2011-04-05 17:04
    Right, right.
    But it'd be a lot less arduous, fuss and bother wise, to get a handle on the zerocounter'ing and thousandcounter'ing if you can manage a fake/debugin "on the bench" (at home) and see if it ever gets to "Movement". See if either overflows, and that like. Yes?

By testing "on the bench", are you referring to the link you gave us in the last PM you sent?
    As an alternative to scheduling time with a vacuum/pressure chamber, facility, etc.:

http://www.instructables.com/id/make...20-by-convert/

We've tried to visit that link, but it appears to be broken. I think it was truncated when you copied it into the message you sent us. If that is what you are referring to, can you please expand on how we would go about doing that?

Thanks,
    Andrew and Dylan
    edited 2011-04-05 17:04
    If you've never worked with DEBUGIN, note that it "echos" back to the DEBUG window, don't get spooked by that.
    edited 2011-04-05 17:06
    No, you don't need that.
    You need to substitute a DEBUGIN for the SERIN in MAWDget.
    edited 2011-04-05 17:11
    No, you don't need that.
    You need to substitute a DEBUGIN for the SERIN in MAWDget.

Alright, that makes more sense. We'll make those changes are post our results shortly!

Thanks again,
    Andrew and Dylan
    edited 2011-04-05 17:11
    MAWD_get:

DEBUGIN DEC5 Mawdin
    RETURN

You'll have to place DEBUG to display the entered Mawdin data and the zerocounter and thousandcounter.

10-4?
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-04-05 17:37
    MAWD_get:

DEBUGIN DEC5 Mawdin
    RETURN

You'll have to place DEBUG to display the entered Mawdin data and the zerocounter and thousandcounter.

10-4?

Here is the file with all the designated changes in effect. Mr. Kibler, this is the file that we would like you to report your results on. Both the flashdrive's data and the GUI data in a copy'n'pasted version.
  • Obie WanObie Wan Posts: 46
    edited 2011-04-05 17:45
    Justin, you keep saying that my dad and I came up with ideas for the mechanism. The person you should really be looking for is Dylan's dad, not mine.

Also, Mr. Kibler and Justin, where do we stand on meeting up on Thursday night to work on the project. Is it go or no go?
    edited 2011-04-05 17:53
    Hello MAWD Fans,

Even though all PBASIC Help's IF..THEN examples go to Addresses, and the IF..THEN..ELSEs do operations, by experimenting with DEBUGIN I find that an IF..THEN math operation works.

I'd like to see the testing we'd mentioned last night: MAWD data along with zerocounter and thousandcounter status. Note Bene -- Zerocounter and Thousandcounter can overflow if a MAX is not specified.
    An example is attached, so you can see what I mean. (Hope you have access to your BoE, et al.)

-- PJA --

PJ Maude,

So do you want us to run this program with the MAWD in the vacuum chamber or simply bench test the program at 1 ATM (normal tabletop pressure?) I'm curious if the ASP-BOT (Air Smapling Probe RoBot) will run the program since it has a CO2 sensor, ADC converter, BOE, MAWD, etc. attached. Last year's "Launch Ready" program calls on all of these; without them will it run?

OK, so now I'm REALLY curious. I must download the program to the ASP-BOT now and then run it (at 1 ATM tabletop pressure) to see what will happen. If you see a large flash, a ball of fire, and a thunderous roar coming from the east, you'll know the wires got crossed. Hold on! I'll be back in a bit.

MAWD Kibler
    :cool: