Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Logging Data — Parallax Forums

Logging Data

Doug12Doug12 Posts: 1
edited 2010-05-15 13:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I have not used the basic stamp before but have heard alot about it. I would like to list my idea hear and see what other users think of it.

I need the following system:

1. Controller w a serial port rs232 to talk to a external device and be able to request information through the rs232 port from the external device. We have protocol of external device

2. I want controller to log that information to a plug in usb type flash drive.

3. information to be logged in Excel format.

4. Information will be bit on\off and numerical values

5. Information to be logged needs to be configured through web browser interface.

6. Configuration to be done through USB connection

Is the basic stamp capable of this?

Thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-05-15 13:22
    #1: Should work. It depends on the details like the protocol. For example, the Basic Stamps are limited to receive at most 9600 Baud.

#2: You would need to use an external flash drive interface like the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger. There's sample code available.

#3: CSV format is easiest. Excel can read that. If you want a true Excel format, that's much more complicated.

#4: No problem.

#5 & 6: Not sure what you mean here. There's an external web server (Parallax & NetBurner's PINK) that would work nicely for this.

If you need high data rates, you might do better with a Propeller-based system. The Propeller would need something like the Memory Stick Datalogger, but could handle the web interface. Do a web search for "YBox2" for one example of a Propeller-based web server that could also interface to the Datalogger.

If you use a Propeller (like the YBox2), you could directly interface to an SD card or micro-SD card formatted for a PC and the Propeller could easily write PC-compatible log files.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 5/15/2010 1:29:38 PM GMT