LBCLBC Posts: 3
edited 2010-05-14 13:30 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there,

We are working on a project, thinking of buy below item:-

1.····· Parallax gps - product no:28416·
2.····· Easy Bluetooth - product no:30085
3.····· CO2 sensor module - product no:27931
4.····· Temp/humidity sensor - product no:28018
5.····· Basic stamp discovery kit - product no:27807(usb)

We are worried that the·BS2 module may not have enough serial ports to support GPS Bluetooth and Sensors. so have couple of questions to ask:

1. GPS module has 4 pins : GND VCC SIO /RAW.
The SIO of the GPS is connected to on the Basic Stamp 2 module because from certain websites it is stated that it is connected to any of the I/O ports i.e. Pin15. However in the data sheet, SIO is a serial communication and as explained in your response email, it is connected to the serial in/serial out port of the BASIC Stamp 2 module.

2. Similarly, for the Bluetooth module, what we have read from the internet was that it uses serial communication but some other sources from the internet uses I/O ports. So our concern now is which port should the GPS and Bluetooth module be connected to? Which of the I/O ports of the basic stamp module are used for serial communication?

3. Humidity and temperature sensor also uses serial communication, but the CO detector uses I/O port. Is our assumption correct? If it is, then 3 serial ports are needed which may not be supported by the Basic Stamp module.

4. there are 2 dedicated serial ports, does that mean 1 in and 1 out? OR 2 pair of in and out serial ports on the basic stamp module.

Thank youyeah.gif

Post Edited By Moderator (Joshua Donelson (Parallax)) : 5/20/2010 5:26:02 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-05-14 13:30
    Any Stamp I/O pin can be used for serial communication. There are some special I/O statements that are only in the BS2p series modules that use specific I/O pins, but everything else can use any I/O pin.

There is a group of 3 pins used for programming purposes (SIN / SOUT / ATTN). These are not I/O pins. There's an interface circuit on the BS2 module that allows you to connect these directly to an RS232 serial port. When this is not used for programming or debugging, it can be used as a limited serial port (#16). Read the Stamp Manual for details.

You can connect your I/O devices to any I/O pin you want.