Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Guy who doesn't know quack about electronic controllers seeking help for a pers — Parallax Forums

Guy who doesn't know quack about electronic controllers seeking help for a pers

GregWmsGregWms Posts: 1
edited 2010-05-08 23:04 in BASIC Stamp
I am looking for MCU or PLC programming, PC programming and equipment selection or development help on a personal project.··I was advised to post to an EE site. I know virtually nothing about MCU or PLC. Some VBA experience.

My project, using a simple analogy, is to make a programmable door bell ringer. I want to be able to create the ringing pattern in a PC program and [font=inherit!important]download[/font] it to a PLC that will control a solenoid that will ring the bell. The functions that need to be controlled are: 1) create a variety of ringing patterns (musical score - only one note), 2) pick the score to play, 3) set the duration of the score 4) set a timer to determine a schedule for the program (this could be very simple in the beginning, just certain hours of the day. Later it could be programmed picking days and time frames in the future). The controller should have an attractive but simple user interface to choose the program and schedules. ·After creating all the functions, turning the bell on and off, picking the musical score and the schedule should be done from the controller on the bell housing.

Some of the many questions I have is·if this can be done with an existing controller (or if I need to have one made), how to pick that controller and some help with the PLC and PC programming.· Is the display interface and control buttons part of a controller or separate. ·Cost of the controller is a concern. What progamming language would you use on the PC to build the program.· Since this is a personal project and business stuff always seems to get in the way, the project has languished for years because I don't have time to [font=inherit!important]learn[/font] everything to complete it.··So I want help. Looking for someone that might have an interest in helping me with this as a practice exercise, or just for fun.· This is just one part of the overall project which involves wood, metal, casting and design and art work as well as the EE.···I want to learn as much as I can along the way, but the object is to get the project done.·

One thing right up front that would be extremely helpful would be a quick overview of what steps are involved and what equipment would be required to complete the project.· I have already identified suppliers of the solenoids.

Thanks for reading this and if you want to help, that would be great
Greg·

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-05-08 23:01
    Do you really mean a PLC like this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_controller

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-05-08 23:04
    You could do this with a Stamp as the controller, a power transistor to switch the current to the bell ringer, and a real-time-clock like a DS1302 to do the time-of-day/date timing. There are many simple LCD displays and all kinds of ways to set up a pushbutton or keypad interface for setting schedules. Parallax has most of the pieces you'd need. They also have a lot of existing documentation and sample programs for pieces of what you'd need. You'll have to learn about programming in Parallax Basic and you'll have to do some experimentation to find just how to make it all work the way you want.

To see what sort of information is available, go to Parallax's main webpage and click on the Resources tab and the Downloads button. You'll find downloadable Nuts and Volts Columns, Stamp Documentation and a lot of tutorials in the Stamps in Class Downloads section. Browse through the Parallax webstore for keypads and displays, real-time-clocks, etc. Each product will have links on its webpage to documentation and sample programs as well as other information.

Parallax has just added a nice case for what they call their BS2pe Stamp Motherboard complete with prepunched endplates for mounting connectors, suitable for adding a little display as shown on the product page. This might be just the thing for the controller and display case.