Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with X4/X5 outputs on the boe board — Parallax Forums

Help with X4/X5 outputs on the boe board

Drew n MattDrew n Matt Posts: 5
edited 2010-05-06 14:55 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi, my problem is that I am using a motor on the boe board connected through the X4 and X5 outputs so that it can get more power.
The problem is that power is always being supplied to the x4/x5 outputs and it is controlled by turning on and off a signal which is the third wire on the servo motors, however our motor only has two inputs.· Therefore the power is always being supplied to the motor and we cannot turn on/off the power does anyone have any tips on how to program it so that i can control when the power is being supplied.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-05-06 14:55
    x4/x5 is intended for use with servo motors (and some sensors) where power needs to be supplied all the time and a 3rd connection to the Stamp provides control. There's no way to switch the power. You can add an external transistor to control the power. Nuts and Volts Column #6 shows a variety of ways to use a Stamp to control power to a relay or motor. Go to the main Parallax webpage and click on the "Resources" tab. You'll see a link to "Nuts and Volts Columns". Go there and select Volume #1. Download Column #6 and read it.

You can set up the transistor on the BOE's breadboard area or you can even wire a switching transistor into your cable to your motor if you have the 3rd wire from x4/x5 available already in the cable.