Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dead Ping))) — Parallax Forums

Dead Ping)))

HH Posts: 21
edited 2010-06-12 04:21 in Accessories
Hi

I need some troubleshooting help with the ping ultrasonic sensor, I had it running perfectly (impressive accuracy) for about 1 hour

As I touched the 7,5v connector to my propeller protoboard, to disconnect, I saw my DOGM display flicker, after that the Ping was dead.
I speculate, but really don't know, it got a transient voltage spike over the 5volt reg. No prob i thought and started checking resistors and caps, but they all seem fine. and no components running hot.
A bit weird really, other parallax components are quite rugged, and I have a hard time believing the on/off bounces when disconnecting the wallwart plug could kill anything.

Anyone know what the 4 test pads on the back of the ping is supposed to be. (2 of them are 5v and gnd respectively) 2 others are connected to the SX28 chip.
I haven't looked at any data sheets for the other 2 silicons on the board, but I assume they are opamps? Anyway, signal, gnd and 5v paths are okay up to all silicon parts.

Any hope or just scrap it and buy a few new ones?

Also do anyone know how well these work in a very acoustically noisy environment?
(going to use 4 pings or maybe just one, still considering that bit, to control 4 pneumatic actuators on a wood planer. Noise levels at about 110dB. The ultrasonics would be perfect if they tolerate the environment, dry, dusty, and very noisy. IR gives false signals on particles in the air, and stops working at all as dust settles on the lens, and going mechanical (switches and the like) is a last resort if this fails)

Thanks
-H

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2010-05-05 13:43
    The Ping sensor is a robust sensor, I've worked with them over the years.· Like most electronics you have to take precautions
    ·a current spike can damge it.· Send me an e-mail at dandreae@parallax.com and we'll see what we can do?·

The Pings do not like dust, you'll want a dust free environment for the most part.· We don't have any data regarding the nosie, however, some electrical noise can cause the Ping to give back inaccurate readings.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-05-05 18:22
    The pads you refer to are for programming the on-board SX chip via an SX-Key.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • HH Posts: 21
    edited 2010-05-05 19:41
    Mail sent, and thanks, excellent service [noparse]:)[/noparse]

(doh! of course, programming pads, not testpads, might have to read up on the SX then, like does it signal those data lines on powerup? so I could verify its not fried?)
  • Sal AmmoniacSal Ammoniac Posts: 213
    edited 2010-06-11 19:01
    Does Parallax have a Ping))) redesign in the works for the day when the supply of SX chips is exhausted?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-06-12 04:21
    Sal, that is something we will be ready for when the SX is getting low, but for now we have enough to keep making PING))) sensors for quote some time. I know Ken posted this once before with an actual estimate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·