Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with final project! — Parallax Forums

Help with final project!

AcrutAcrut Posts: 5
edited 2010-05-05 02:34 in BASIC Stamp
We're trying to program a nice push botton game, and need serious help. We're trying to program a pong, space invader, tetris, frogger etc etc. We have succsefully plugged two old NES controlers to the BS2, but we are having the worst of times putting the code together for any of them. Pls help us with some examples of codes or any toher realting info that might help us put the project together. This final project means a lot to us and have ran out of knowledge and ideas to get it working.

Thanks, Anuar

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-05-04 19:22
    I'd think the BS2 was fairly limited for this sort of thing. The Propeller-based Game Machine would be perfect, though.
  • AcrutAcrut Posts: 5
    edited 2010-05-04 19:35
    Allan thank you for the prompt response unfortunately this is all we have to work with...any suggestions?

on another note we're outside the US so purchasing the Propeller-based Game Machine for as much as we would like to; is out of our reach.

-Anuar
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-05-04 19:50
    I dunno, pong shouldn't be too hard. I've written this game in basic for the PC and for some calculators. I don't think my programs would be useful though because they used floating point numbers for the X & Y increments. You'll have to do it all with timing.

What will be your display? LED's? LCD?

You could probably make a crude Frogger or MAYBE, MAYBE a Breakout kind of game. I'd forget Tetris and Space Invaders.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.

Post Edited (Spiral_72) : 5/4/2010 7:57:00 PM GMT
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2010-05-04 20:39
    Acrut said...
    We're trying to program a nice push botton game, and need serious help. We're trying to program a pong, space invader, tetris, frogger etc etc. We have succsefully plugged two old NES controlers to the BS2, but we are having the worst of times putting the code together for any of them. Pls help us with some examples of codes or any toher realting info that might help us put the project together. This final project means a lot to us and have ran out of knowledge and ideas to get it working.

Thanks, Anuar

I have a few questions before I can help you out.

What class is this final project for? Is it computer science? What grade level, Elementary school? high school? College? what year Freshman,Senior?

You have "ran out of knowledge" for your final project? You have taken a class that has now ended and you are left with an empty mind? No Ideas?

What school is this and how much was it to take the class?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-05-04 20:50
    When I was at university we were expected to do our own project work. It was many years ago and perhaps things have changed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
  • AcrutAcrut Posts: 5
    edited 2010-05-04 22:21
    With your help we can improve our knowledge and project outcome, it's not that we can't do it ourselves. Personally I believe one of our greatest traits as a race is the fact we can build upon what has already been created, it’s not copying, it’s not plagiarism, and it’s not stealing. It's sharing ones ideas in order to build upon these ideas and previous work to make it greater!

Did Edison steal Franklin’s electricity to build the light bulb? Or did he use his knowledge and previous work to create an alternate use.

Tecnol
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-05-04 22:48
    Acrut said...
    Personally I believe one of our greatest traits as a race is the fact we can build upon what has already been created,
    Charming.·
    Du bist nichts, Dein Volk ist Alles!

Lots of people will help you to develop your ideas, but I think that you need to bring a lot more to the table.

Copy, Plagiarize, Steal, those are harsh words. ·I think the "Newspeak" term for all that is synergy,·and one of·our goons likes to·package deal that into a pile that he calls·learning.

Here's a link to a game that you can copy/plagiarize/steal -- http://www.thumbstadium.com
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-05-05 02:04
    What sort of screen/output do you have? Do you have to have two players? In any case, I think you should focus on one game at a time, and make sure that it's turn based rather than real time. The BS2 isn't all that fast, and trying to update a display, do some sort of computer opponent, and read input is probably too much unless you're extremely clever. Browse around and find some suitable games that you can emulate, then work from there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔