Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp editor is slow to load or never as of late — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp editor is slow to load or never as of late

orendaclorendacl Posts: 44
edited 2010-05-04 17:26 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

In the last week, my basic stamp software will not load?
It just sits there displaying the following box:

BASIC STAMP EDITOR

version 2.4.2

It often takes as long as 5 mintues to start or never does. It used to take less than 5 seconds.
My laptop is running this program and is less than a year old. I have a number of bs2 programs I wrote on this pc...a few pictures but that's it!
What could it be?

How would you guys suggest I resolve this issue so that I can do some programming!

thanks...
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-05-04 15:56
    Try downloading a fresh copy and reinstalling the editor and the USB drivers. Whatever is causing this probably has nothing to do with the Stamp Editor. Your hard disk may be nearly full or there may be errors in the files so that Windows has to attempt to read blocks multiple times or you may have a virus causing problems or ...
  • orendaclorendacl Posts: 44
    edited 2010-05-04 17:04
    Where do I find the version I have, or should I download version 2.5?
    Also, will any of my bs2 files be lost if I do this?
    edited 2010-05-04 17:05
    Where do I find the version I have, or should I download version 2.5?
    Also, will any of my bs2 files be lost if I do this?
    edited 2010-05-04 17:17
    Actually, I donwloaded versions 2.5 and tried to run a program that was 100% working. It asked me to associate the bs2 files at the startup screen. I did. Now it gives me programming error messages that were not present with the previosu version.
    I did not try to resolve the error as it was not there with v 2.4.2.

any ideas?
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-05-04 17:25
    I've seen something like this symptom when I've used an external floppy, or external USB drive, or thumb drive. What happens is, the IDE goes back to the "device" -- D:, or E:, or whatever -- when checking the "Most Recently Used" list -- and hangs for a long time when the device is no longer there.

Solutions: NEVER use the IDE to open a file on a flash-drive, ALWAYS copy the files to the local hard-disk before opening them in the IDE.
    Second solution -- clear out the "most recently used" list so no "foreign" file systems are on it.
    edited 2010-05-04 17:26
    Thanks for the info. That might very well be it...