Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2p24 with GPS, Accelerometer, 1-wire sensor in VB2008 — Parallax Forums

BS2p24 with GPS, Accelerometer, 1-wire sensor in VB2008

YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
edited 2010-05-04 17:10 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,
This project of mine, is almost completed. The only thing missing is to get the ELM-327 up and running in VB2008.
I don't claim any innovation, just a fun project. And no super way to do things with electronics.
I'm new to this, and still don't get the resistance and voltage etc. Find it quite weird. SO bare with me, no EUREKA in this.
Basically, is to get the BS2P24 talking to a PC. and PC gets the info and do some display with the numbers.

So I got a GPS hooked up to a USB to RS232 then to the pc. Got the BS2 with a Accelerometer 2 axis 5G's (that is a bit too much for my use) , the 1-wire temp sensors and a compass.
I use the debug command to send via the rs232 a string of characters to the PC.
Like "CM1:045 T0C:20 T0F:78 T1C:22 ....." etc
CM1 is the Compass reading 045 degrees, T0C is the 1wire sensor with celsius and the T0F is same sensor i n Fahrenheit.
The GPS sends the info constantly like "$GPGGA .... "

So once all up and running , the PC is busy reading the COM port for the BS2, then the GPS, then the ELM-327.
Then I use VB2008 to display the hole thing.

Now in the picture, nothing is plugged in, just adjusting the display and values etc. SO I fed a false string of characters, and see what it looks like. And the to White boxes in the middle of the screen for testing purpose only. So it looks weird on the screen!

All I did is researched , swear, scream and cried many times, to get the BS2 and the VB to work. I just found on the net, what I was looking for codes, and modified it for my purpose. NO invention here.

Don't ask technical question about electronics. I don't get it. Resistors is my pet peaves. I don't even know how I'm going to connect a LED in my car. and what is the value in ohms. It will be a trial and smoke. I bought 100 of leds so I can burn a lot !

Anyway, have a look, and any new ideas, are welcome, but be aware! If its connecting new devices to the BS2, be ready to be annoyed with my limited brain wink.gif

Cheers
Yosh..the old fart..

oh btw, once all fine tuned, I will put all this in my VAN. Trying to build a space shuttle here! wink.gif
2048 x 1536 - 1M

Comments

• logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-05-01 12:48
    haha, this is nice what does the ELM sensor read? and as for the LED's you can just attach a 470 ohm resistor [noparse]:D[/noparse] hopefully this saves you some LED's and btw go on the parallax site and look for their "What's a Microcontroller?" kit then at the bottom of the page they have the .pdf version of the book. It has A LOT of hookup schematics for the BS2 and it is in color (in the pdf) so you can find ou the resistor colors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
  • YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
    edited 2010-05-02 12:53
    The ELM 327 is only a converting box between your PC and the Car computer. So between COM port to the car.
    It's just a passive converter. Send a HEX command, and you get a response back from the car onboard computer.

For the Led , I've read all I could, and to my little brain, I don't get it. Makes no sense to me. The current voltage etc.
    So, the only one I started to catch, is something like this.
    If you have too much Voltage, you need to burn the extra as current. Anyway clear as mud.. wink.gif

Cheers
    Yosh...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-05-03 18:14
    Yoshti,

Please read the following post regearding Completed Projects. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=775521

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
    edited 2010-05-04 01:29
    Hi,
    I just wanted to post the project with "Parallax" component. And for schematics, I did not invent anything as of NEW ways to do electronics.
    So was not sure to post it or not. But ok, just delete it.

Fine by me.
    Yosh pffffff!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-05-04 17:10
    Yoshti,

The post is technically off topic here, however it can be posted in the BASIC Stamps forum as can any post related to the BASIC Stamp Modules. I will move this post there now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·