Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Melexis 90217 RPM sensor NEED HELP PLEASE!!! — Parallax Forums

Melexis 90217 RPM sensor NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

jivy103jivy103 Posts: 3
edited 2010-05-05 21:23 in BASIC Stamp
I am using a parallax Melexis 90217 RPM sensor on a windmill. the rpm data is transported to the basic stamp and then the motor controller will spin the motor the same speed as the windmill is turning. Im just not sure how to talk to the Melexis 90217 RPM sensor or let it talk back to me. I found the data sheet on parallax website on how to wire it up. I just need some help on the code used to use the sensor. Anyone used this sensor before or know what kind of code to use!!??!?!?!

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Justin Iverson

UMD

Sculpture and Ceramics Major

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-05-04 18:00
    Justin,

The Melexis 90217 is a hall effect sensor. There is no talking to it, per se. All it will do is pulse its output in relation to a magnetic field near it. If you are trying to get RPMs you would generally count pulses within a specified time interval, such as 1 second, using the COUNT command. You could then use that to calculate RPM. For more information please see the following link.

http://www.parallax.com/ProductInfo/Robotics/MachiningTips/BASICMachiningRPMDisplayforyourMill/tabid/420/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-05-04 19:56
    I think that the Reply in the other Subject (same) you started was first rate.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=903628
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-05-05 21:23
    Had I caught that I would have deleted this one. Do not repost or cross post your message. Follow up in the original post when on the same subject. This will avoid issues like this one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·