Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBEE BS2 GPS communicating but its in greek — Parallax Forums

XBEE BS2 GPS communicating but its in greek

WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
edited 2010-05-05 02:39 in BASIC Stamp
hi all ,,, i have a BS2 and GPS sending location thru a pair of xbee pro 2.4 ,s ,,,i have a gps program that works but when sent thru the xbee,s it comes out in symbols,any body have a clue how to decode this on the stamp and it should look like the first pic but this is what i,m getting[noparse][[/noparse]code]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Problems are the "roads" of life,
solutions are only "onramps" to the next problem

············································· "Brad Smith"

Post Edited (Warrlok) : 4/28/2010 7:14:25 PM GMT
1680 x 1050 - 243K
1680 x 1050 - 210K

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-04-28 18:54
    Both the GPS --> XBee and the XBee --> BS2 connections have to be at the right speed. Many GPS modules send their data out at 4800 baud. XBees default to 9600 baud. If the GPS is sending at 4800 you have to either adjust it to send at 9600 or (more likely) adjust the XBee to receive at 4800.
  • WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
    edited 2010-04-28 19:23
    but this program was working thru the serial cable,,, the bs2 takes the data from the gps at 4800 and sends it thru the xbees at 9600 i just changed the serialout pin # ,,,seems like it should work if the xbee,s are working transparently,,, it seems to be sending the data just looks to be encoded i,ll wait for some more peeps to chime in ,,,before i go to changing settings on the xbee i might try changing it on the gps first,,, thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-04-29 01:45
    Have you configured the xbees for transparent mode? That's needed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-04-29 13:57
    Franklin said...
    Have you configured the xbees for transparent mode? That's needed.
    ohhps,, i just burnt the software on them i thought they defaulted to transparent serial !? i,ll have to check ,,,good call.
    what i dont understand is why the output seems to be encoded ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2010-04-29 14:02
    sylvie369 said...
    Both the GPS --> XBee and the XBee --> BS2 connections have to be at the right speed. Many GPS modules send their data out at 4800 baud. XBees default to 9600 baud. If the GPS is sending at 4800 you have to either adjust it to send at 9600 or (more likely) adjust the XBee to receive at 4800.

This is going from GPS to BS2 to xbee -> xbee to comp...to Basic stamp editor debug ,,,,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2010-04-29 17:33
    Okay then, is the BS2 getting the data okay from the GPS?

I also wonder if you're having a computer problem of some sort that's causing this. All of your posts have multiple periods (.) and commas (,) where there should be just one. Is that some kind of keyboard issue? Might it be affecting what you're trying to do? It's not going to be easy to program reliably if you've got that kind of glitch.
    edited 2010-04-29 21:22
    sylvie369 said...
    Okay then, is the BS2 getting the data okay from the GPS?

I also wonder if you're having a computer problem of some sort that's causing this. All of your posts have multiple periods (.) and commas (,) where there should be just one. Is that some kind of keyboard issue? Might it be affecting what you're trying to do? It's not going to be easy to program reliably if you've got that kind of glitch.

the bs2 is getting the correct data from the GPS , its working with the serial cable but i had to change the serial out from pin # 16(serial cable pin) to pin#5 for the xbee and i,m receiving data from the xbee just not the right data, and the extra commas are just my style o(or lack of it,,,... ;>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2010-04-29 23:23
    So then your issue is not in sending GPS data through an XBee, but in sending data at all.

This document explains it in great detail. I suggest that you work through the examples. That's what worked for me.

http://selmaware.com/appbee/AppBee_Doc.PDF
    edited 2010-04-30 21:23
    well its transmitting,0 when pin 13 is open 1,s when its high so its something in the programs DEC format

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-05-04 18:06
    Also, if you're interfacing the XBee module to a BASIC Stamp Module, do you have an adapter that buffers the 5V signals from the BASIC Stamp Module? The XBee modules run at 3.3V and cannot tolerate 5V inputs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
    edited 2010-05-04 22:55
    Thanks for the warning chris ,got that cover,d i probably should have asked what would be the best setting for remote control and telemetry , the more i read the more i,m confused. i,ll get figured out

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
    edited 2010-05-05 02:39
    Please take a look at the known to work Xbee code listed here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=903678

Modify the pin assignments to suit your setup, send your GPS data as DEC X. Any formating of the data can be done after the transmission.

Hope this helps.

Post Edited (Wildatheart) : 5/5/2010 2:45:16 AM GMT