Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless data transmission — Parallax Forums

Wireless data transmission

ErikdSErikdS Posts: 37
edited 2010-04-27 14:55 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

an old tread by 'Damian' back in november 2005 was about using a basic stamp BS2p to send data through the transmitter Praat Hobbies uses in its cansat kit. I'd like to do the same for a regilar BS2, but wiring is unclear to me: is the BS2 sending over pin 2, pin or pin 15?

Also, can I choose a higher baudrate than 1200bps? How do I know which baudrate argument to use?

Kind regards,

Erik

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-04-27 11:40
    Have look at the Help file in the editor software. Under SEROUT it describes the setting of the baud parameter and which pin it is transmitting on.

As for a higher speed, if the transmitter can accept data at a higher speed, the Stamp can be set to accomodate it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-04-27 11:46
    This is really a question about the CANSAT setup and not about Basic Stamps - if there's a CANSAT forum, they'll probably be more helpful to you.

Looking over the documentation I see that they're using pin 15 from the Stamp as the connection to the transmitter:

serout P15,i1200,[noparse][[/noparse]“S”,“this is a test”,13]

It also looks like they're using a Basic Atom processor, which is different from the Stamp modules Parallax sells and supports. The syntax for the language is a little different from Stamp Basic. Perhaps you could give a link to the thread you mentioned? That'd help us to understand how this works with a Stamp.

The good news is that if you can come up with the right information, this should be pretty straightforward. I imagine you'll be up and running quickly.

• ErikdSErikdS Posts: 37
    edited 2010-04-27 12:00
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-04-27 14:55
    Hmm. Unfortunately, I don't see any sign in that thread that he got it to work. His attempt looks reasonable. The "i1200" in the command in the documentation suggests that the transmitter expects serial data at 1200 baud, inverted, and the guy in that thread assumed so, using 17197, which is the code for 8N1 1200 baud inverted on a BS2. You could go look at the documentation for the "Basic Atom"·processor's Basic language to confirm that "i1200" means 1200 baud inverted.

I would not assume that you could simply transmit at a higher rate. The transmitter may have a device on it that expects data coming in at 1200 baud, and if so, unless you can reprogram the device some how (good luck with that...), you're stuck at 1200. The fact that it seems to interpret commands (like the "S" at the start of the data) strongly suggests that there is some kind of processing on the transmitter side. You could try a faster speed - all that will happen if it's wrong is that you won't be able to transmit. I'd bet it won't work. You change the baudrate by changing that "17197" to a different number, as specified in the Help file for the SEROUT command, in the PBASIC programming environment.