Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using The Prop Plug on a BS2 — Parallax Forums

Using The Prop Plug on a BS2

PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
edited 2010-04-28 21:15 in BASIC Stamp
··· I was thinking of using the Prop Plug for programming a BS2 on a breadboard. A little confused looking at several Parallax docs. Is the pinout as follows?
·RX = Sout
·TX = Sin
·ATN = ATN

Will the series caps for the ATN signal hurt like in the BS2 super carrier board? When it comes to com signals, I get easily confused by different names.

Also can the Prop be directly programmed with a DB-9, RS-32 like the BS2?
Any Help would be helpful. Don't want to fry a prop or BS2 or prop plug.

Post Edited (Prettybird) : 4/24/2010 6:01:18 PM GMT

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-04-24 18:22
    You need to add a "ground" connection. Plus, if you have a DB-9 on the other end of the Plug, you'll need to jumper pins 7 and 6 together.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-04-27 18:34
    The first thing to understand is that the BS2 expects an RS-232 level signal on its pins, whereas the Propeller expects a CMOS 3.3V signal. The RS-232 signals are inverted and the voltages are different so neither device can be programmed from the other.

That said, I did make a schematic a long time ago showing how to program a BS2 non-module version, such as an OEM implementation where the RS-232 circuitry could be left out. Those schematics are at the following link. I hope this helps. Take care.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=567989

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2010-04-28 21:15
    Thanks alot Chris. You saved me alot of headaches. I probally misread the page for the Prop Plug. It did mention Basic Stamp. I don't use OEM.