Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Basic Stamp BOE compatible microcontroller? — Parallax Forums

New Basic Stamp BOE compatible microcontroller?

logan996logan996 Posts: 281
edited 2010-04-23 15:23 in BASIC Stamp
I found this on robotshop.ca, it is a chip that looks a lot like the BS2 module and the discription says (i qoute) "Attention all Stamp users! Turbo charge your Stamp project with BasicX!" and "The Netmedia BasicX-24p-u Microcontroller is one of the World's most powerful Basic programmable·Microcontrollers!"·It clamis to be able to run·83,000 instructions per second! (4 times as·fast·as parallax's fastest stamp) and it's only $51! i was wondering·if you could substitue this in the BOE and program it in parallax's BASIC? cause for that price and speed you could make a heck of a stamp balancing bot or a smoother BOE bot (with PING included) URL: http://www.robotshop.ca/netmedia-basicx-24-microcontroller.html·and if it is not possible to program with parallax's software would it at least be compatible with the BOE to the point where you can program it with the BOE?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

· Thomas Jefferson
·

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2010-04-23 13:14
    I believe that micro has been on the market for a while. I don't know if you can use it on a Boe-Bot (probably not), but I can tell you that it can't be programmed in Parallax Basic. If it could, it would have the same specs as a BS2, since it would have to use the same Basic interpreter.

If you're looking to upgrade your Boe-Bot, you can use one of the higher-end BS2 modules, like the SX. You can also use one of the proto-boards that Parallax sels either the SX-28, SX-48, or the Propeller. Any of these proto-boards would give you far more instructions per second than BasicX, and both can be programmed in Basic (SX/B & PropBASIC, which are both written by the same person). The proto-boards do require you to purchase a programming "key", but a proto-board + key would cost about the same as the micro that you mentioned.

With the proto-boards you would need to wire/solder your own components, or mount a breadboard, etc.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-04-23 15:23
    Yes, you can program the BasicX in the BOE -- but you'll have to use the BasicX IDE. And BasicX doesn't provide nearly as much support as Parallax. Not to mention, the BasicX 'language' is very VB-like -- so the Parallax example code won't help you either.

You'd be MUCH better off using the Parallax stuff. And this comes from somebody who doesn't work for Parallax, who spent a lot of money a while ago evaluating all the 24-pin BS2 'clone' devices.