Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK Firmware Released (The future of the PINK module) — Parallax Forums

PINK Firmware Released (The future of the PINK module)

Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax EngineeringPosts: 14,406
edited 2012-10-08 18:20 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone,

As of today we are making the firmware for the PINK module available so that customers may update their own existing modules.· This is happening for several reasons:
  1. Changes in ISP infrastructures are forcing us to have to keep updating the firmware to make the modules compatible with ISPs such as non-standard SMTP ports and SSL requirements.
  2. Parallax does not handle the development directly, but rather this is done through a 3rd party.
  3. Until today customers have had to send in their PINK modules to have firmware updated putting extra resource drains on both Parallax and customers.
  4. There is currently a Propeller-based Web Server solution in development for which Parallax and/or customers will be able to customize firmware due to the open-source nature.

The developer of the firmware (NetBurner) will continue to·update the final versions of the firmware to repair any bugs we or customers may find.· The updated firmware will then be posted on the forums and eventually the product website.· There are two versions of the firmware being posted.· Please read the notes below for each version before downloading them.

UPDATING YOUR FIRMWARE:
  • Your PINK Module must be able to be seen by the IPSETUP program.
  • If IPSETUP detects the PINK Module then run AUTOUPDATE.EXE (this program is included on the CD that came with your PINK kit).
  • Select the PINK Module you wish to update.
  • Select the firmware file you wish to use.
  • Click the update button.

You should receive a message box that the update was successful (no errors).· Please note that the firmware file must be stored outside of the ZIP file for this to work and the filename should not be changed.

CURRENT FIRMWARE VERSION: V1.35 (OFFICIAL)

The official current version of the firmware is V1.35 and has been tested for errors, however we cannot anticipate every situation in which the PINK modules are used.· Therefore if you encounter what you believe to be a bug, please post a message in the forums so we can determine if there is an issue and perhaps try and duplicate the issue ourselves.· Other members can also report of they have or can duplicate the same issue.

BETA FIRMWARE: SSL SUPPORT (04-20-2010)

This firmware contains SSL support and programmable SMTP port number.· However it is not supported by Tech Support.· All questions should be posted here.· This version of the firmware is a Beta release with customer feedback driving any bug fixes.· So if you're interested in the SSL support you can test this beta version and report any problems here.· We will have the bugs updated in as timely of a manner as possible.· As revisions are made I will post revision history below.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2010-04-20 22:37
    Chris,

· Thanks! That is good news - I updated my firmware from 1.33.

Is there a document describing the change history·between versions?

- Ron
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-04-20 23:31
    Ron,

Sadly there is not because we did not develop the firmware in house. Please note that the latest version is always recommended since most changes were made to address limitations or previous bugs. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
    edited 2010-04-20 23:40
    Chris,
    Thanks anyway!

How will we know when a new version is released?

Maybe a new section in the Downloads page or a new Forum section?

- Ron
    edited 2010-04-21 05:41
    I will update this thread when there are changes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2010-05-11 04:56
    any chance, that as these changes are going on, that you could add a CSS file reference in the configuration pages? this would allow users to have the configuration pages match the user pages. and also add better use for mobile devices, like the iphone. it would be ideal if the elements on the pages had IDs and/or Class tags.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DGSwaner

"When in doubt, use C4" - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster
    edited 2010-05-11 22:31
    Further development through us will not be possible. We're merely trying to handle any reported bugs and have the corrections made at this point while making the updates eaier for the customers. Once NetBurner is making their firmware available directly they may be open to suggestions on improvements. Once their modules are available I will post here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • MiccimMiccim Posts: 14
    edited 2010-05-13 17:40
    @Chris

Thanx for the update and the description how-to! I have just succesfully updated Netburner.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    BoeBOT with BS2 and PINK module (Netburner) | Latest: BlinkM
    edited 2010-05-31 20:18
    Something I meant to include to Propeller users of the PINK Module. According to NetBurner the chipset on the SB70 runs at 3.3V and because of the 5V interface the PINK Module already includes a 74LVC244A buffer on-board meaning there should be no reason to have to place a resistor in series with signals coming from the PINK Module to the Propeller. You can confirm this by measuring the level of voltage from any of the output pins from the PINK interface header while the PINK is powered up but not connected to anything. You should be seeing close to 3.3V on these output pins and not 5V.

Remember, only signals going from the PINK to the Propeller matter.· Signals coming from the Propeller into the PINK module are compatible as they are either way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • eod_punkeod_punk Posts: 146
    edited 2010-06-01 12:47
    Thanks for the update Chris I know this will come in handy shortly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There is no problem that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives!

EOD Memorial
  • MicheleMichele Posts: 23
    edited 2010-09-12 17:14
    File Type: zip PINK-V1.35.zip (63.0 KB, 54 views)
    File Type: zip PINK-SSL-Beta.zip (63.0 KB, 38 views)

Both of these files report "invalid or corrupted" when I try to unzip them. I have no problems unzipping other stuff. Does anyone have a valid copy of the PINK firmware? Thanks.
    edited 2010-09-12 21:41
    Thanks very much for that, Ron - I appreciate it. Strangely, the v1.35.zip file there produces the same "Folder is invalid or corrupted" error but the beta file did unzip OK so at least I can use that. Is anyone else able to unzip the v1.35 file or is this all somehow just me?
    edited 2010-09-13 05:16
    Strange, I can open both files. What operating system are you using?
    Do you have ZIP software or just relying on the OS?
    edited 2010-09-13 09:00
    I extracted the file and uploaded it.

Right-click this link and select "Save target as..."

http://ronczap.home.insightbb.com/ParallaxR1p35_APP.s19

Change dropdown "Save as type" to "All files"

Save the file as "ParallaxR1p35_APP.s19"
    edited 2010-09-13 09:07
    OK, that at least worked - thanks! :-)

This was really odd. I tried it on two different machines, both running XP SP3, and they both gave that same error. I just downloaded them with Firefox and then double clicked on the resulting file to unzip. I don't have any other way to do it, like Winzip.
    edited 2010-09-13 11:07
    Michele,
    I also run XP Pro SP3 and I tried using Firefox. I was able to Save each zip file and then open them using either WinZip or by right clicking the zip file and selceting "open with" and choosing "Compressed (zipped) Folders" from the menu.
  • eod_punkeod_punk Posts: 146
    edited 2010-09-13 12:23
    I started using 7-zip along time ago and have been quite happy with it.
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    edited 2010-09-13 12:45
    Well, I dunno. Maybe it's time to run malwarebytes... I tried the right-click/open-with method and that didn't work either.

And thanks for the tip for 7-zip. It looks like a good program, though it wasn't able to open that zip file either.
    edited 2010-09-13 13:11
    Well here's a good one: after all that, when I tried to do the firmware autoupdate, it failed because I bought an SB70-LC and autoupdate will only talk to an SB70 (File Platform and Device Platform Do Not Match). I thought the only difference between the two was that the LC is $25 less and runs on 3.3 v. based on what Netburner says: "NOTE: If you need a smaller form factor, lower-cost, 3.3V version of this part, please see the SB70LC."

Bummer! :-(

Is there a workaround for this or am I all done? Or how about a fix to autoupdate.exe to recognize the SB70-LC? Thanks.
    edited 2010-09-13 15:59
    NetBurner is taking over development of the PINK Module and has created a Beta firmware for the SB70LC. You should be able to request a copy of that firmware if the SB70LC is what you're using.
    edited 2010-09-13 17:39
    OK - well never mind. I opened the firmware file with a binary editor and just added two bytes 4C 43 ("LC") after byte no. 05. Autoupdate was perfectly happy to use the modified file and it loaded just fine into the SB70-LC. So we're good to go, hoo-ah!
    edited 2010-09-16 12:31
    Interesting approach...I guess a small part of me is surprised that worked. Or maybe that I didn't think of it? ;)
    edited 2010-12-20 12:49
    Hello everyone,

As of the 15th of December, 2010, all future sales and support of new PINK Modules will be provided by NetBurner. Customers who wish to continue to use the PINK Internet Modules should go to the NetBurner PINK product page for purchases, support and firmware. NetBurner has led the development of the firmware since the introduction of the product and it is easier for everyone for them to drive the product. With Parallax driving this product there is an inherent delay in updates, fixes, etc. since we do not do the firmware deveopment in house. NetBurner will also be able to provide the PINK Module to a much broader base of customers than just Parallax and they may have other options available in the future as product development continues.
    edited 2011-04-05 20:58
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in some other thread...

The current PINK firmware version is 1.36 and can be downloaded here:

http://www.netburner.com/pink/
  • MarcelMarcel Posts: 32
    edited 2012-10-08 13:43
    Hello,

I updated my SB70 circuit board version 1.2 to firmware version 1.36. Look OK so far.

Thanks, Marcel
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-10-08 18:20
    Anyone know where I can get the Autoupdate program? I bought a PINK for $41.00 shipped on EBay but there is no CD.

Edit: Never mind. I just found it.
  • I know this is an old thread, but for anyone still using or interested in the PINK Netburner module, there is a relatively new (May 20, 2014) version of the firmware - 1.38.

I dusted mine off recently and wasn't sure it would work with my ISP email provider and checked out the netburner site
    http://www.netburner.com/support/doc-s-and-downloads (see PINK70 section)

It works fine sending emails using authentication on my timewarner mail server.

Revision history
    Release 2011-01-11, Revision 1.36
    - Rebuilt with NNDK tools 2.5.1; now supports the ability to send and receive e-mail with
    SSL

Release 2012-02-16, Revision 1.37
    - Modified application to be compatible with SB70 and SB70LC products
    - Upgraded flash file system (EFFS-STD) from 1.63 to 1.91. EFFS is now thread safe, has
    wear leveling
    **** IMPORTANT: Versions are not compatible and require a format of the on-chip file
    system
    **** Save your files from the the SB70 device before uploading the new application or
    they will be erased
    - Additional status messages on file system initialization and reported usage. Viewable
    on UART0 during boot

Release 2013-11-11, Revision 1.38
    - Added ability to format file system on nb_factory.htm configuration page