Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HELP--Multimeter — Parallax Forums

HELP--Multimeter

KCMECHKCMECH Posts: 1
edited 2010-04-19 17:58 in BASIC Stamp
I have built a solar array and now I want to test efficiencies throughout the day by utilizing a data logging multimeter to measure voltage and current. I need some help turning my Basic Stamp 2 into a data logging multimeter. I have the analog to digital voltmeter reader ADC0831. This has been successfully connected. I am connecting the DS1302 for time keeping for the data logger. I bought a 24LC128 EEPROM for additional information storage.

I need help with the coding and need to know if I will blow up my BS2 using this config.

Thanks a million!

---cfskxc

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-04-18 20:08
    Blow up?, probably not. You need to write code that periodically checks the clock and when it has been x minutes the stamp will access the adc, get a value write the time and value to the eeprom and go back to sleep until the next time. We can't help with the coding if you don't provide some for us to work with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-04-18 20:31
    Start with the examples on Parallax's website for the ADC0831 and DS1302. There are other examples in the Nuts and Volts Columns, also downloadable from Parallax (start with the Resources tab).
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2010-04-18 23:45
    You didn't mention how you plan to measure the current. I would reccomend the Allegro ACS758 or similar Hall effect type sensor. Much easier to use than a shunt and instrument amp. These will plug right into the ADC you already have.

I live off grid and am using these sensors in my DC power· system and they work great for me.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2010-04-19 17:01
    Jonathan said...
    I would reccomend the Allegro ACS758 or similar Hall effect type sensor....
    ·With an ADC0831 and the 50A ACS758, will I be able to read milliamps?

Where can I purcase an ACS758 and what price?
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-04-19 17:23
    Allegro used to give out free sample from there web site they do not do that any more with out call there sales department

the only place that·I found was at this link

Allegro ACS758

http://www.newark.com/allegro-microsystems/acs758kcb-150b-pss-t/hall-effect-ic/dp/04R7130

There is an offset voltage on the output pin to· the ground·pin·of about .10 to about .50 volts if·I remember right

It·has been a while scene·I have use this chip but it work pretty good from what I can remember

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·Now wanting to learn Spin· Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 4/19/2010 5:53:40 PM GMT
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2010-04-19 17:58
    Thats great, Sam, thank you so much! Six USD for each isn't that bad at all.

·